The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

safe boost?

mods;
big 16g
760 cc inj
3 in straight pipe
apexi safc
act 2600 clutch
slowboy fmic.
wally 255lph
evo 3 manifold
arp head studs
oem mls head gasket

GSX_TC

Without a tune 15-17 pounds should be the highest you should go without tuning

GSX_TC

Depends, are u asking what is the highest boost you can run safely with a tune? And will this be on pump gas or E85?

GSX_TC

You should get it on a Dyno and tune on that, you have the right supporting mods, don't just go turning the boost up blindly though, have the guy who is tuning it for you do it in slow increments as he tunes it till you start seeing no more improvements of power on the Dyno. Basically max out that 16G.

off topic but with my supporting mods what turbo would you suggest that i would be able to use to its power.. i was thinking hx?

GSX_TC

If u wanna go bigger you'll need more fuel for sure which means bigger injectors and possibly a wideband. I'd just stick with what you have right now and build up from there first man. They got a saying, you gotta run 13's and 12's before you try aiming for 10's and 9's. Try to get the most volumetric efficiency out of that turbo you have first.

GSX_TC

Of course you could, you could even get into the 11's if u wanted too. A big16g can get you upwards nearing the 400 mark.

Thanks alot man! Ill keep you informed on the tuning and what not supposedly like you said I can Max out this16g

Brunoboy

Your car can boost whatever you want to boost until it knocks........ Always tune for no knock. Everyones car is different, so you cant post a "how much boost". The condition of your motor and type of fuel and elevation all play a part in the limits of power mods.
-shane

GSX_TC

Don't just turn up boost till it knocks though, that's just asking for something to go wrong, make sure who ever is tuning knows what he is doing and turns the boost up and Compensate's for it with tuning the AFR's and fuel trims.

Barnes

1)Turn up the boost incrementally.
2)Test drive the car
3)Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you melt a piston. Write down the boost setting.
4)Rebuild your engine

You have now found the limit of what boost you can run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thecman02

I'd suggest running low boost till you can get ecmlink and a wide band. Being able to tune will give you much more hp and take advantage of the supporting mods you have. Taking out enough fuel with the safc will inadvertently add lots of ignition timing to you car which is asking for nasty things to happen. Especially with no way to log what the car is doing.

Galantvr4559

(1)Turn up the boost incrementally.
2)Test drive the car
4)Rebuild your engine

You have now found the limit of what boost you can run.)

This is halarious.

Diego

Quoting Barnes:
1)Turn up the boost incrementally.
2)Test drive the car
4)Rebuild your engine

You have now found the limit of what boost you can run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yea I wasn't really goidqqng for an exact number just a ball park.. sorry for short reply posted from phone

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned