The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dripping oil from lower hydraulic tensioner bolt

yeti

So i noticed today when pulling away i had a good amount of oil on the floor, before i start tearing the car apart anybody have any ideas of what usually breaks on that side and causes a good amount of oil to drip out i mean all 4 quarts drip out within the day probably

Last edited:

speedyd718

oil filter o-ring, crankshaft seal, oil pump shaft seal, timing cover seal, balance shaft seal, oil filter housing gasket.

just named all those because i had a pretty bad leak on the same side the car (not as bad as yours though). got all those seals and gaskets changed out, and now everything is good to go.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

sounds like its time to take it apart and replace all the seals and gaskets colin

turbofonz

Does it have balance shafts removed? Sounds like the block off plug popped out, or a filter leak.

yeti

Im not sure if the balance shafts are there or not

I think im going to get some black light dye and undo the pulley side motor mount and jack the engine up and put in work..

turbofonz

Take off the motor mount, pulleys and timing cover. There isn;t a whole lot on that side of the motor that will leak that much oil in that quick of time.

Check oil filter, turbo feed(if it's from the filter housing) before removing anything first though.

With the timing cover it should be pretty obvious.

I'm putting money on balance shaft block off plug thingymadoo

GSX_TC

let me know if you need any help

moduleunknown

I wouldn't imagine a 4qt a day leak would require dye to pinpoint. Fill her up and watch it pour back out...

I second the plug thought. Been there.

yeti

Damn well you guys will know soon enough...

Im not leaking that much i would say maybe 2quarts a day not sure today is the first day its been leaking

Also i have oil from underneath the right side of the exhaust manifold and the left side, my valves may not be sealing cause 1/4 cup of oil comes out of my intercooler when i take it out so should i put in all this work for this motor or just swap it with my fresh one that has to be assembled

yeti

Does the gasket break from a lot of oil pressure or what?

Im just gonna get under the car tomorrow and see what i can see Im gonna put the dye in and see whats up before I remove the motor mount and jack the engine up and remove timing belt and pulley's

I really appreciate all the help thanks

raptorWagon

If you over torque the oil filter on install, you can very easily crush the seal in there and cause a leak.

The gasket can break from lots of different reason's.. and our cars are so old who knows when the last time it was changed ha.

GL with the dye! Let me know how that works for you!

DR1665

I say get a couple quarts of oil, a bottle of simple green, a garden hose, and a Saturday morning. Pull the motor mount, accessory belts, crank pulley, and timing cover. CLEAN THE EVERLOVING sh*t OUT OF EVERYTHING. Then re-install the alternator belt and crank pulley, and bolt up the motor mount. Put the car in the air in true JSB fashion, top off the oil, and fire that bitch up. It might take you a minute to spot the leak (I would hope sooner, if it's 2 freaking quarts A DAY). It might take you an hour, but seeing fresh oil running down a front case is a lot more useful to problem solving than seeing some dye leaking out from behind the timing cover.

How long since you've done the timing belt, Yeti? If it's been a while, this is a DAMN good opportunity to get in there and do it. Swap out your water and oil pumps, double check the BSEK, and be done with it. If you're losing 2qts a day, you're already spending $10/week or more on keeping oil in it (not to mention giving those California Air Research Board jackboots more ammo against gearheads everywhere with all the obvious pollution).

I would NOT keep driving this car.

GSX_TC

^^^what he said!!

Chase

Could also be the timing tensioner. IF the bolts come loose the valleys behind it will leak through.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts