The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil cooler??????

i have a question tried to search but no luck my car has a air to oil cooler well the cooler was off a rx-7 diddnt line up looked like crap so i took it off and looped a hose for temporary my question is i found some nuts at work that would block off the fittings would look alot cleaner can i do this or would it be a bad idea thanks for any input u guys can give

SmoothCustomer

Don't do it. I have never tried to run no cooling on an oil filter housing but it can't possibly be good. If you don't want to go air cooled go back to stock.

GSX_TC

go find yourself a 90 Turbo DSM External oil cooler at a junkyard or something. or just buy this kit and be done with it altogether click

Last edited:

GSX_TC

No problem, also here's a slightly cheaper one, if your hurtin for cash. click they use the same cooler with diff fittings and lines but for a fraction of STM's price. im gonna go with STM though when i get mine because i want the classic black style lines

524of1000

They're not entirely necessary from what I understand, but if you need just the cooler we have one laying around the garage. It has AN fittings, but no lines. Lines can be had cheap at siliconeintakes.com. I can get you more info if you're interested...

broxma

I do not run an oil cooler. I have a forward facing oil filter housing from FFWD Connection and no cooler of any kind. I just run Valvoline VR1, 20w-50. It is not as much a problem as you might think. It is common for non-track prep'd Evo owners to lose their oil coolers and just block off the cooler ports. The difference in oil temp is only 15-20 degrees, but the 20w-50 makes up for the temperature increase. I sold my evo with no cooler and it just wrapped up its first summer down in Mexico without any problems.

/brox

So your saying I could block off the ports without issue cause I read something about it being thermostat controlled and it would be bad for it

broxma

On the factory one there may be some spring which allows for a by pass similar to the Subaru oil pump but on the FFWD forward facing, there is nothing like that. The OFH from FFWD is just like the 90 OFH except the filter does not come off the side. It faces forward and down a bit. You can run an oil cooler from the FFWD forward facing OFH, I just choose not to. But it has ports on it, although they are actually for oil feed rather than a cooler, but you could do it.

/brox

Quoting Specter:
^yes a non turbo oil filter will fit.

to clarify I was asking about the housing not the filter so it will work? ??

SmoothCustomer

It certainly fits, but I'm not totally sure it will work, I know it is different. It might have worse cooling (which apparently some people say doesn't matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif ) but I would be worried about the oil distribution, doesn't the filter housing somewhat control this? Also I would imagine the pressure would be considerably different.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned