The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g maf

tintoy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifi had change my gvr4 maf to a 2g maf, i've followed the intruction at vfaq and it work out fine (check engine did not turn on) guess i did the rewire right.. I removed the return of the b.o.v. When i rev it (3000rpm up) and released the accelerator the rpm drops and the engine dies.. did i done something wrong? Or do i have to put back the b.o.v. return? Need help.....

tintoy

few months ago iv post about my hks ssq bov(old) and did not had the rec kit coz its a 2nd hand.. I intalled it with out the return and the engine dies.. Some members suggested to put a rec and some to replace maf to a 2g.. Since i did not found any rec kit for the ssq bov i removed it and put back the orig bov.. Now iv changed my maf to a 2g and tried to remove the return of the bov..

1uGlyGalaNt

Unless you run a MAP sensor instead of a MAF, which requires using ECMLink, DSMLink, or AEM, then you must recirc your bov for your car to run correctly.

Last edited:

Diego

Quoting 1uGlyGalaNt:
Unless you run a MAP sensor instead of a MAF, which requires using ECMLink, DSMLink, or AEM, then you must recirc your bov for your car to run correctly.

What about GM Maf and translator, no need to recirc then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

dsmkid

hmm. I have a 2g maf on mine and a tial 50mm NOT recirculated and my car runs fine (other than some new full throttle tuning issues.) NO dying issues at all.

Brunoboy

I am with WOP on this........Get a recirculation tube on it, Or start tuning with a GM MafT or Ecmlink and tune for Speed Density........ Anyone Venting to the Atmosphere without proper mods needs to be hit with the noob stick....
-Shane

EgonOlsen

A shot in the dark, but it could be why its posted on the noob forum, because thats what us noobs do when we ask noobish questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dsmkid

ok.. So I have a noob question then.. I just bought this car like this and it is running, idling, etc just perfect. 2g maf, tial 50mm venting to atmosphere, safc1. Why doesnt this car have any problems?

dewman

Thats always a mystery. Some guys' cars run ''flawlessly'', while the other guys car can't even stay idling.

beaner

Venting on a 1/2/3g mas can work, but it's not correct. It's just not a performance oriented mod, usually opposite.

The stock bov leaks at idle, most aftermarkets don't. When you have a stocker recirc'd, it's fine because that's all happening after the mas. When you vent it, you introduce a constant vacuum leak. Problem 1.

When your bov vents to the atmosphere instead of back to between the turbo and mas, you are running pig rich. The ecu used the mas to measure the all air entering the engine. When you dump that air into the engine bay instead of your intake pipe, the mas will never know, therefore the ecu will never know. X amount of fuel was added, but Y amount of air isn't there. Problem 2.

Say you boost leak test up to 20psi and it holds so you figure everything is fine. You someday run 30psi and your vented bov begins to leak at 25psi, you are now losing calculated air. I suppose you would tune around it, but why? Sounds awful. Problem 3.

turbowop

Quoting EgonOlsen:
A shot in the dark, but it could be why its posted on the noob forum, because thats what us noobs do when we ask noobish questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The post right above my reply wasn't a question. It was a statement, hence my facepalm reply.

Quoting dsmkid:
ok.. So I have a noob question then.. I just bought this car like this and it is running, idling, etc just perfect. 2g maf, tial 50mm venting to atmosphere, safc1. Why doesnt this car have any problems?

You may think it doesn't have any problems, but those of us seasoned with turbo Mitsubishis know it is. Maybe one day you'll understand. This is a common n00b misconception...kinda like wanting to run HIDs in reflector housing headlights.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

:FacePalm: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Brunoboy

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting EgonOlsen:

The post right above my reply wasn't a question. It was a statement, hence my facepalm reply.

i think that reply was to my response saying its a noob question...lol

EgonOlsen

Yeah it was, I havent figured out how to use the "quote" button, when you reply to the last post in a thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But hey, when you throw a stone into a crowd, the one that whines is the one that got hit. :p

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned