The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fully cleaned and fresh engine for $$250

yeti

I got the whole engine cleaned and checked for clearences etc.block,crank pistons rods,head, valve guides, valve seals...etc..

Everything turned out good and didnt need any replacing the guy at the machine shop said everything is reusable and that the pistons are still good im going to go with the evo8 pistons since there are the best for the money;..

Can anyone point me in a good direction for what needs to be done to evo8 pistons to fit dsm rods like aryticles or threads im gonna go hit google up.

just wanted for this to be done in the searches when someone asks how ,much to expect at the machine shop.

524of1000

Check Broxma's build log ( click ), He has Evo8 pistons on 1g rods. Having said that, He's told me numerous times that the money spent on obtaining the pistons, machining, and especially the rings would cost nearly the same as buying a forged setup. Food for thought.

broxma

The above is a true statement. You figure you have the rods so those are free, but you gotta buy the pistons, probably used off EvoM, so let's say 100-150 for those. You're gonna get new rods bolts, so add the cost of ARP rod bolts for the 1G pistons and the rods should be bored for the crank now with the new torque spec on the rods, that's 100.00. Now, the machine work to get the evo pistons on the 1G rods, since they are press fit not floating pins, cost me around 175 I believe. OEM Evo piston rings are about 140-160.

So let's math.

100-150 pistons
50+100 rod bolts machine
175 machine for pressing pistons
140-160 Rings

On the low side you're looking at 450.00. High side will be over 550.00. An eagle/wiseco hobby kit off ebay doesn't run much more than that. An the eagle rods will come with ARP studs already and brand new rings. This doesn't account for new rod bearings or crank bearings, both of which you'll replace and have clearanced, and on and on.

Ebay budget forged internals still put you back over a grand once your done. It's more machine cost you don't expect. The 20 over bore, the work on the crank. In the end, the cost saving is negated. You might save 200.00 off a 1200.00 total, but at that point, who cares. Spend the extra 200, get the forged rods and pistons, kick it 20 thou over and be done with it.

My lesson learned should be enough motivation for you to not commit the same mistake.

/brox

Street Surgeon

After quite a bit of research I've come up with the same conclusion as the rest of these guys, for a scant few hundred more you get a fully forged bottom end which IMO is quite a bit tougher than a 6-bolt rod evo piston motor. That being said, whenever I get around to building my "Mitsu's greatest hits" motor I'll be buying a set of evo pistons, 6-bolt rods etc.

belize1334

It's worth noting that Evo pistons are rated for a given CR under the assumption that they're used with the EVO head. Our heads have a bigger dome volume so the final compression ratio will be lower than the rated value. You will not get the stated 8.8:1 CR using Evo pistons with a 1G/2G head.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned