The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First winter in Florida, 20w50 to thick for winter?

cupajoe

After reading the article from forced performance I want to run Valvoline vr1 but I'm unsure if 20w50 is gonna be to thick for Florida winter. What do you guys think? Let me know.

Here's the link, click

Thanks, Joe

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

For Redline 20W50 it say: Not recommended for use in cold climates (15C/5°F for 20W50)Popular in turbocharged applications, For wider bearing clearances and racing engines that see occasional street use

For Redline 10W40 it say: Best choice for high-performance engines that see street/strip or track activity
Great for engines with high oil temperatures

is it ever below 5F in Florida?

Last edited:

Diego

If you've been to Florida people there consider 50* degrees cold while I'm walking in shorts and a hoodie and flip flops.... same when I visited California, same scenario. I grew up in the Midwest, the southern coastal states don't get a "winter" IMO.

Diego

turbowop

When I talked to family down there a year or so ago, they told me it got below freezing and fucked up the orange crop or something of that nature. I doubt it's like that much, but they do get some cold spells.

cupajoe

Oh yeah I know what you mean when you say Florida doesn't get "winters" I lived in Alaska my whole life so I know all about the cold Lol. I know on the the oil temp chart its reads 20w50 is good to about 0*f, but just wanted to see if any else ran that weight oil in ~20*F? Do you think it would be okay? or should I just stick with a 10w30 for the "colder" months?

Thanks, Joe

cupajoe

Anyone else that lives in Florida please chime in and let me know what weight oil you run during the colder months.

Thanks, Joe

speedyd718

not in florida but i'm running a 50/50 mix of mobil 1 0w40 and 5w50 weights here in cleveland this winter. i'm hoping it goes well. so far so good temps have been into the 40s already with no issues.

QnzMostWanted

well first off, WHERE in florida are u going to be...below the frost line, u dont have to worry about "winter" cuz it doesnt get THAT cold....above the frost line...it can drop to 30's or so at night, but its up at 70-80 during the day, so it all depends on where in florida u are going to be

dmj

I run 20w-50 always ,everythng else seems to thin out extremely quickly due to high temps

cupajoe

Quoting QnzMostWanted:
well first off, WHERE in florida are u going to be...below the frost line, u dont have to worry about "winter" cuz it doesnt get THAT cold....above the frost line...it can drop to 30's or so at night, but its up at 70-80 during the day, so it all depends on where in florida u are going to be

Fort Walton Beach, FL

cupajoe

Quoting dmj:
I run 20w-50 always ,everythng else seems to thin out extremely quickly due to high temps

And you don't have problems during Dec-Feb?

QnzMostWanted

i think u will be ok, just let the car warm up completely on those cold mornings and u will be fine....my dad just told me he ran 20w50 all year long in NY and never had an issue as long as he let the car warm up before he started to drive...

turbowop

With the car warmed up, no big deal. Starting a car with that weight oil in it in freezing temps might get interesting though. If it gets cold, drain the molasses and pour in some lighter weight stuff.

cheekychimp

I'll probably get slated for saying this but since we are already at October, I'd be inclined as an experiment to get some cheaper oil in larger quantities and treat this as an experimental, run-in/flushing period for the next six months. Decide what it is more critical to find out, if thinner oil thins too much in hot temps or if thicker oil creates starting/oil pump issues in colder temps.

Change the oil at closer intervals over the next few months and inspect it when you change it. If you splash out and buy some filters and change them with each oil change at the very least you will be cleaning out your engine with a monthly oil change.

I'm in a similar situation in Hong Kong and I found that I can run thicker oil all year round. It gets down to zero here or below with the wind chill factor but only overnight (like 4am). By midday and even earlier it's always above freezing and I never had cold start issues. Even if I considered using a thinner oil it is only ever remotely viable for about 1-2 months a year. I'm sure that's the same for Florida.

I'd just buy some cheaper light weight stuff and throw it in for the sake of changing the oil when it gets cold and go back to my preferred brand when the temps pick up. Like I said I doubt you are looking at more than an 8 week window but I suppose you should wait for the Florida peeps to chime in on that, I can only talk with any authority on the temps here as I have only been to Florida in the summer.

cheekychimp

^^^ LMFAO that wasn't quite what I meant but yeah I've never needed to change oil during the winter.

cupajoe

Thanks for the opinions, very helpful. If anyone else in Florida runs this thicker oil or has any input on this matter feel free to chime in, I'm interested. While were on this subject do you think 20w50 would cause the oil pump to work to hard? Or will it be just fine?

Thanks, Joe

dsmkid

I am running 20w50 and in denver. Sometimes on real cold mornings my car will die right after start up and then start right back up. Like someone stated before, just let the car warm up to normal operating temp (10 or so min.) before driving and you will be good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts