The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner 671/1000 Denver CO

3O3EL0VR4

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and my GVR4. I have always loved the GVR4's ever since my brother bought his (crashed, sold, fixed, and running again) about the same time I got my Z32. I just bought a '92 Summit White 671/1000, from a friend that needed the money and I just so happened to be looking for a DD, for school. Honestly, I think it was fate. I was supposed to get a turbo All-Trac Celica that wound up not working out. Anyway, I remembered seeing my friends Galant for sale, so I called and he was more than happy to get rid of it to someone who had actually put their own sweat into working on it. I mean, I helped him pull a motor and put a new gas tank in. She runs and drives very nice. Only about 1100 miles on the now, built motor.
2G Eclipse intake (1G MAF), Aluminum radiator, oil catch can, BPR7ES plugs, FP2 Cams, Crower springs and retainers (stock vavles), Viton rubber valve stem seals, FelPro Permatorque head gasket, ARP head studs, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons and rings, and Clevite bearings. The battery is relocated in the trunk. A Talon trans. (shifts very smooth, miles unknown), mounted to an 8lb flywheel (stock clutch ... for now). A Wal. 255 pump, FMIC w/ 2.5" piping, stock BOV and TD05/14b (15psi ... I know, its maxed out), and a 3" turbo back straight pipe. Manual BC, AutoMeter 30psi boost gauge, slotted and drilled rotors, she has 168k miles on the chassis, and the interior is in pretty good shape, like one rip on the driver side. The A/C has been removed, as well as the cruise control and ABS (forgot to put the rings back in after doing the wheel bearings, also the fuse has been pulled) I had to get an ECU (why it was sold), found a capped and socketed (stock EPROM) one, and replaced the IAC. I still get a little idle surge every now and then when coming to a complete stop, which I'll be tracking down this weekend. Balance and alignment needs to be redone too. I'm glad to be part of such a great forum and group of people, and I look forward to meeting some of you local Colorado guys (already met a guy with a Belize Green VR4 on campus this morning!).

GSX_TC

Welcome aboard man, nice lookin engine bay, read this click and this click

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

jrschultz

Welcome. I'm new to the forums as well. Your car is a sleeper. The body looks to be in decent shape, but obviously driven. Nice engine bay! How's the exhaust set up with the straight pipe? Is it obnoxious?

3O3EL0VR4

Quoting jrschultz:
Welcome. I'm new to the forums as well. Your car is a sleeper. The body looks to be in decent shape, but obviously driven. Nice engine bay! How's the exhaust set up with the straight pipe? Is it obnoxious?

No actually it's not bad at all. I just went to CO. springs for the weekend, so I got to hear it really well. I dont have a stereo in her either but, then again, I like to listen to my car not the obnoxiously repetitive radio lol.

Diego

Agree ^^ (since I did the AMG wing I never listen to the radio)

Brunoboy

im with Diego, no antennae with the amg wing -__- lol

3O3EL0VR4

NOOOOO!!!! Downed again =( ... I guess the guy I bought it from forgot to replace the oil pump during his rebulid and put the old one back in. Sunday afternoon it seized, (or at least thats what I think). I was only going about 30mph when it happened, a cling and a clank, the oil light comes on, a high pitched scream from the belt and the car shut off. I got a tow home from my friend Scott who also has a GVR4 who able to help out, (luckily only 3 blocks from my house). Once home, we wanted to make sure the cams weren't locked so I cut the timing belt and they weren't, thank god. We also found the CAS all the way forward, making for really bad timing which I think also played a hand in all this, We had intended on re-timing Wednesday already. Which leads me to the oil pump. I can only assume, the damn thing seized causing the motor to shut off, and most likely destroyed some of the timing belt teeth in the process. I cant belive this happened! I'm soo upset. She is going back under the knife tomorrow (since we were going to time her again anyways), hope for the best guys, from what I hear locally there has only been 2 cases of an oil pump going and the head being saved.

GSX_TC

Sorry to hear that man, yeah if the cas is all the way forward you prob overheated the sh*t out of that motor.

3O3EL0VR4

The temp gauge was still reading normal operating temp ... so I'm not sure. I'll find out exactly what it all needs again in the morning once I can get in there. Like I said pray for the best. I have about an extra grand right now so hopefully by next week she'll be back from the dead

GSX_TC

it wouldnt make the temp go up, one night i drove home and the CAS was all the way foward and the car felt as if it were dragging or being held back by something i couldnt figure it out. it was boosting full boost and everything but was going anywhere, it was weird, about 10 mins later of NORMAL driving it got ALOT worse on the freeway, so bad to where it almost wouldnt accelerate anymore, so i limped it to the side of the road and popped the hood and there i saw was the brightest orange/yellow i have ever seen it. coming from the exhaust manifold and turbine housing of the turbo, it was cooking evertthing around it like the upper intercooler pipe was smoking, and everything was just sooo hot. so i let it cool off and busted out my timing light and reset the timing myself back to 5 degrees and bam went back to normal, no more glowing orange or dragging feeling.

3O3EL0VR4

Got the valve cover, all the pulleys and stuff off and it looks like exactly what we thought... The oil pump seized and when it went, it fused to the front cover, then slipped the timing belt, which bent the valves on 1 & 4, they won't hold compression. Sad sad day. I got a used front cover on the way and got all the gaskets and seals from Mitsubishi yesterday. Hopefully none of the valves heads broke off... I can't even think about that. The head comes off Sunday, I need to go get a head gasket, should I stick with OE or do you guys have any suggestions? My friend says he has a set of stock valves we can put in so we're gonna do that to.

GSX_TC

stick with the stock head gasket

dsmkid

Quoting GSX_TC:
stick with the stock head gasket

Why?
What are your plans for the car?

GSX_TC

because if your not resurfacing the head, the stock composite headgasket will work much better.

3O3EL0VR4

So ... The head comes out of the shop hopefully Friday. The head that was on it was actually 40 thousandths off on intake cam journal 1. I don't know how it was even running like that without damaging the cam... I had to drop off another bare head so they could continue. To answer your question GSX, yes the shop is completely redoing the head. It will be super clean and almost like new when I get it back. I grabbed a 7 layer Mitsubishi gasket for the head and the front cover was a used one from Buschur. If everything goes smooth she should be running again this weekend.

GSX_TC

Sounds good

3O3EL0VR4

What a Nightmare! The 2nd head I had to drop off was warpped to bad to use. I had to buy a 3rd one from the shop, but it was a virgin and worth every penny. Never been touched until now! I finally got it back and I want to get it all back together asap. I still need an intake manifold gasket, spark plugs, injector O rings, coolant and oil. I didn't even think about it at the time but the front cover I got from Buschur doesn't have an oil pump either, so I'll need one of those as well. I have to go out of town next weekend and see my Grandfather who is in the hospital, and I might not see again. Between family and the forever hungry money monster, it looks like 671 will be down a few more weeks than planned but then again when does that not happen? ...

So fresh and so clean

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned