The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

were can this be found

dsmless

really didnt know were to put this in but here it goes, Im looking at a old school colt like 70's and would like to build one with a 4g63 motor and while searching ran into this build thread about some aussie dudes car, he used a stock manifold with an adapter plate to make it a top mount turbo setup. Anyone know were this can be bought or made?

alansupra94

Really doesn't look that complicated. Maybe a couple hours of measurements, CAD work (if you want to replicate it) and some help from a machine shop could easily get this done.

dsmless

yeah I thought so too, get a 1/2" of steel and mill or cnc it, then countersink one side to mount the manifold and the other to the head but wondering if anyone has done it or seen this before thats all

I wonder what was the idea behind moving the stock manifold slightly forward? Is 4g63 port/bolt spacing symmetrical? If shifting the manifold isn't necessary it seems like an easy enough job for a drill press and some rotary files.

Last edited by a moderator:

grocery_getter

The bracket in the picture is for flipping the manifold upside down. Not for moving it forward.

JSchleim18

Ummm...just cut the flange off the stock exhaust manifold and flip it upside down, reweld, profit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quoting grocery_getter:
The bracket in the picture is for flipping the manifold upside down. Not for moving it forward.

The bolt holes *look* offset, maybe it's the angle the picture was taken at though.

rdomeck

Quoting JSchleim18:
Ummm...just cut the flange off the stock exhaust manifold and flip it upside down, reweld, profit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Welding cast iron isn't as easy as you would think. It can be done but takes some care. Welding cast iron to mild steel a a little bit more difficult, but can still be done!

alansupra94

I was just going to say that about cast iron. I wouldn't risk it to be honest.

EgonOlsen

That particular guy made his own.

here they talk about how/what to make it of: click

looks like this:

img.php

raptorWagon

Sigma-Galant has loads of tech and info along with ProjectzeroG if you are serious about the swap. What year Colt Galant/Lancer are you looking at? '71-73 you are going to have more clearance issues with the CAS than you will with a 74+, though 74+ will still require some massaging of the firewall regardless.

dsmless

good input I got the idea from project zero forums, just tossing the idea around of building a old school car and this type of turbo mounting caught my attencion

raptorWagon

I was referring to using the 4-9 setup on a GA-GD Galant that were to have a 4g63t swap, not the on a VR4, instead of flipping a VR4 setup on the Early cars. I suppose something similar could be done like what the OP was seeking info on.

fuel

no but it would make the turbo point the right way in RWD applications with using the VR-4/Evo1-3 engine in RWD application, while still being low mounted. This wont work with RHD oldschool Mitsus though, because the steering box will be in the way.

raptorWagon

Oh yeah, forgot your steering box is there too along with the brake master cylinder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. For LHD that side is clear, where as I just have to worry about clearance with the intake manifold and my brake master cylinder on the opposite side.

RHD GC Galant with NA 4g63
P1130724.jpg

P1130730s.jpg

GSX_TC

Dam that is Nice

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts