The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

(RESOLVED) CAR OVERHEATED..I PULLED THE HEAD..PICS

The upper hose is really hot and fat once the engine is warm. It almost seems like it might burst. I fill the radiator with water and cap it off with a new cap. It stays cool for a little while but eventually all the water evaporates, and the car starts to overheat. Help!

Update. See the last slide

Last edited by a moderator:

O I forgot to mention the thermostat was removed the first time it over heated and so was the hose. I don't see anything leaking.

mpt72

The excess pressure shouldn't cause your hoses to expand that much if it was just a water pump. However, forcing pressure (compression) into the cooling system would cause the hoses to expand. Or your hoses are twenty years old...

SouthCaliVR4

napa has a chem test kit. its a tube with a bulb & you draw the gases from the open rad cap through a fluid that will change color in the presence of hydrocarbons. the only way for hydrocarbons to get into the cooling system is a blown head gasket, cracked head or block. you can do this with a gas analyzer as well but good luck finding someone willing to risk sucking fluid into their gas analyzer.

other way to do it, use a cooling system pressure tester, pressurise the system pull the spark plugs & let it sit for a while. if fluid accumulates in any cylinder, you have found the problem. Since the combustion chamber is a much higher pressure than the cooling system can take this method sometimes won't show a problem even though it's there.

yet another way, use a cylinder leak down tester or air hold fitting. pressurise each cyl & look for bubbles in the cooling system.

when you pull the plugs look for one that is way cleaner than the others, another indicator but again not conclusive.

Thanks everyone for your input and help. This blows. I guess I was in denial I also saw some white smoke coming out of my tailpipe.

Ok, so what head gasket kit should I get now. Also should I replace anything else other then timing belt water pump? Do I have to have the block removed to check if the head is ok, or is there anyway I can check myself?

This is going to be my first time taring down a motor. I have done smaller jobs like clutch replacement, differential replacement...never anything like this...I'm doing a epic search or the best help online (dsm forum, and here) I will be sure to post what I find.

pauleyman

This is no different than any other repair. It's procedural and those procedures are well documented in the factory manuals. If you want to go beyond that then seeking the advice of those here or your local machine shop are advised. Surface treatment, types of gaskets etc all come into play. I would be more concerned about what caused the problem and fix the root cause. You put in a new motor and then find out you had a clogged radiator would suck. Head gaskets don't fail just for spite. Did the car overheat? Do you think you've pushed it too hard? Previous repair done poorly?

yea I burped it, the water level in the radiator went down. Yet as soon as I capped the radiator the top hose started to expand dramatically. I do remember seeing white smoke. The car doesn't pull as hard as it used too, It will backfire mid pull and whatever.

So how do I go about selecting the thickness of a head gasket. I'm finding it difficult to find all the information about this on one page.

asmo

As far as choosing one, The stock ones are good for most cars, and the mitsu MLS gaskets are good for 20+ psi cars.
here is good write up on changing one.
changing head gasket

That is an amazing head gasket write up.. thanks

Can I get a few more confirmations before I tare this thing down. The white smoke, overheating and upper hose pressure is good enough reason to rebuild this thing.

How long should I burp the system for?

talontyme

Your symptoms say head gasket and really the best way to tell is to do a coolant pressure test or a leak down test. We can sit here and guess for you but really to get a definite answer you need to test the system.

just pulled the head what do yall think? You can click on the image to make larger.

Terry Posten

Looks like #1 is the culprit. Look at the water passage on the lower right hole and it sure does look like the gasket material is blown away right up to the metal sealing ring.

Take a few pics as close to the head as possible for each cylinder and the surrounding water/oil passages. Then remove the gasket and snap another one of just the gasket.

Sure looks to me like the gasket has been blown away in that spot.

BrandonEchols

You've already pulled the head, might as well spend the money on a new gasket.

citymunky

A metal gasket, that is.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts