The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant vr4 RS

tintoy

just want to know what kind of turbo does a galant vr4 rs have.. 16g or a small 16g? thanks for the help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

GSX_TC

hav you tried google yet?

Tre3zy

its a b16g

misterfixit

Only after 90.10 up to then was a 14b

fuel

yeah, what they fail to acknowledge is whether it's an 'evolution' spec RS or not. The early RS's have the same 14B turbo as the regular VR-4 while Evolution VR-4 has the big 16G, along with the rest of the 'evolution' spec non-RS VR-4s. So an RS can have a 14B while a non-RS can have a big 16G.

Same with the vented hoods, extra vented bumpers, 510cc injectors, larger intercooler, 4 bolt rear end etc etc it's all dependent on being Evolution or not rather than being RS or not.

GSX_TC

This guy knows his JDM VR4's. thanks for sharing that info man

H05TYL

From the factory none of them had 450's AND a 16G turbo, most likely the turbo has been replaced by a previous owner.

Pre 89.10 vr4's had 14b's and 450's making 205hp
Pre 90.10 vr4's had 14b's and 450's making 220hp
Post 90.10 vr4's had 16g's and 510's making 240hp

RS's had the same turbo and injectors as the corresponding year's regular vr4's.

tintoy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifare there any difference between size or flow of the 14b turbine housing, o2 housing and the big 16 turbine housing, o2 housing? Coz i just bought a big 16g and the turbine housing has a crack on the wastegate...

fuel

14b is 6cm2 while 16g is 7cm2. 14b housings do tend to crack, 16g housings not so much.

tintoy

cant use the crack housing.. have no choice have to use my 14b housing. is there a big difference? what if i port the 14b housing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cheekychimp

Can I just confirm something because I was talking with Aaron about this the other day and neither of us was sure ...

EVO III 16G = 7cm housing
Big 16G = 7cm housing
MHI 14B = 6cm housing

But what about the Small 16G is that a 7cm housing or is it a 16G wheel stuffed in a 14B housing?

conquesttsi

You can use the 14b housing. You'll spool a bit faster, however the trade off is that you will loose some pull on the top end. If I were you I'd slap that thing together to get going but I would keep my eye out for a stronger 7cm housing.

If you need assistance with getting it done.

click

the RS engines have a small 16g. how do i know? i have a RS engine in my garage with the yellow injectors and red valve cover.

RedTwo

Quoting GSXCONVERT:
the RS engines have a small 16g. how do i know? i have a RS engine in my garage with the yellow injectors and red valve cover.

All JDM VR4 4G63 motors have red valve covers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
The 16G fitted to the VR4 has the exact same CRHA as the 16G fitted to the Evo 1 and Evo 2. These are not small 16Gs.

H05TYL

Pull the compressor cover off and measure the wheel, a 68mm exducer is a big16G (Evo 3 16g's have the same dia exducer but the wheel is different, thinner/differently shaped blades).

Also as per my other post in this thread, RS's came in 3 different specs, depending when they were manufactured (they are the same the regular vr4's produced in corresponding years.
The Homologation papers for the vr4 show that 'evolution' versions had a 68mm exducer diameter.

Lastly, just because a certain car has x part fitted to it now is no guarantee it left the factory that way.

Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts