The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

im in need to a rear end education

race_me89

i was told the car had a 4 bolt with aws delete but i looked under the car and it has the rear rack does that mean i still have a 3 bolt and
better question will this rear be strong enough for a 10.50 or better pass.

and if the answer is no i have no clue what parts i would need to chang over to a 4 bolt

donkeylips

I'm not 100% sure but you should still be able to have a 4-bolt with the rear rack in place. Do you know what 3-bolt/4-bolt refers to? Check the outboard end of your rear axles. Do 3 or 4 bolts hold them to the cups at the hubs? Try vfaq.com and you'll find an article about how to do the swap. It has pictures comparing the two, so you should easily be able to ID what you have.

You should just drop the subframe and get rid of anything 4WS that was left there. Seems like a really lazy way of doing things; to leave the rear rack but swap in a 4-bolt. Although I was once told that a car I was buying had a 4-bolt and I discovered upon delivery that it indeed had a 3-bolt.

As far as running a 10.50, DSMs and the like that run that fast are always breaking drivetrain parts. So I think you will want a 4-bolt. Are you sure that a 10.50 is an attainable goal if you don't know the difference between a 3-bolt and a 4-bolt?

Last edited:

race_me89

i recently picked up this shell and i haven't even jacked the car up
but yes i do think 10.50 is a great goal i have a setup in mind
If you would like to know how i plan on getting there all you have to do is ask

Terry Posten

I still have the rear rack installed and have swapped in a 4-bolt rear diff, axles, and axle cups.

Just look at the rear axles and follow them to the wheel hub, count how many bolts there are holding the axle to the wheel hub.

If there are 4, you have a 4-bolt.

And yes, it will survive 10 second passes all day long.

race_me89

ok well on my newb thread you can see my block and head build- these parts are at the machine shop i owe them 270 for boring and honing
i bought turbopheins shep tranny and transfer case
i am looking at clutches and i think that ptt has an amazing clutch based on any review i have been able to find
i want to run the jmf drag intake manifold, with a q45 tb
exhaust manifold JHRacing twin scroll manifold to complement my PTE 6765 with the surge ported "H" 4"in 3"out compressor,dbb, T4 divided vband 1.15 A/R
JHRacing T4 Manifold
tial waste-gates and tial bov, now fuel will be pump with meth but this is going to be many paychecks worth of parts and probably a very mad girlfriend
but in the end i will be THE happiest person EVER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

some call this a wish list i call this my life at least until i reach my goal i wanted 10.0 so i figure it will take lots of seat time and with this setup
i can turn up boost and change to larger injectors and go big i might sound like an idiot but Im 22 and i WILL make this happen its what makes me happy

race_me89

i would like to add that so far any question i have had you guys have been happy to help me with
so with some vr4 love and knowledge this goal isn't so far fetched

That's a really nice manifold. Keep in mind that the DSM's have more engine room between the radiator & engine than the GVR4. This means you might run into clearance opportunities with the radiator. You must also relocate the alternater to use this manifold. You could do one of two things of which JHRacing racing mentions one, use a civic style radiator or remove the condenser & replace it with a Sirrocco style radiator.

race_me89

I will probably end up using a civic rad it just seems like a solution I will be able to pull off at home

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts