The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Koyo or Tuners Nation Radiator?

KiNgMaRtY

Okay, I'm really torn on what to get.

First Option: There's the Koyo Radiator that I will need slim fans for plus add a bung for the sensor at the bottom. Size: 53MM 2RW Aluminum Core 2-1/16" Thickness Runs about $297 shipped

Second Option: There' the Tuners Nation radiator, suppose to be a direct fit, may or may not require slim fans, unsure of quality. Size: 1.7" thick (core size) But the tanks are 2.6" thick. Runs about $260 shipped.

Which would you get and why choose it over the other?

Last edited:

spooling92vr4

I have the koyo...I'm sure the tuners nation one will be fine, don't forget you have to buy a koyo rad cap too, they don't come with the radiator.

IncorpoRatedX

Ask GW for the details on it. he owns tuners nation and is a member here...

Thanks Josh, I gave him the specs on the radiator. Only thing I haven't done with it is confirm the stock fans will bolt up. Typically with an aftermarket radiator, slim fans are used so I never bother checking on the stock fan. I don't have a stock radiator or fan to check. There are a few guys here running them so maybe they'll chime in on functionality for an unbiased point of view.

GSX_TC

i would go with a tunersnation one man. just because its Garfield. plus its an aluminum radiator so you know it'll be good.

DR1665

I think I'd go with Tuners Nation too.

A) It's supporting a GVR4 brother who does right by this community on a regular basis.
B) Considering how common it is for these cars to develop overheating issues, I'd hate to be in a bind and need to order a specialty radiator cap.
C) A $29 savings on the radiator is kinda moot when you have to drop a hundo+ on fan replacements.

Why are you replacing the radiator? Heat is the enemy, sure, but unless you're religiously punishing the stock cooling system on a regular basis, you might find supporting a known good guy, retaining a degree of local (immediate) serviceability, and putting additional funds into other, supporting investments (like the new hoses, clamps, coolant, and maybe water pump you'll want to go with this new cooling system project). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

on the price did you factor in the tuners nation Galant vr4.org discount??

KiNgMaRtY

DR1665: My radiator began to leak as I was examining the idle issue. I realized that it was leaking on the drivers side and fins were soaked. I had been having heating issues, no over heating but the car running hot. Guess the radiator was just on the way.

I wanted to almost just get the TN radiator because I would be supporting our GVR4 vendor and it's Garfield but I also want to make sure that I am sold on it as well.

KiNgMaRtY

With either one of these radiator fans, will I be able to fit another fan on the driver side? I was thinking running 2 14" fans to run together inside the engine bay and leave the AC fan alone with its original function.

Last edited:

Post a picture of your current setup. What I did was stuff a 10" fan in front of the condenser on the passenger side next to the condenser fan. It's a very tight fit & I had to trim some of the meat off the fan housing. The factory condenser fan is badass & you're not going to get any aftermarket fan to outperform it.

Something else that people might be experiencing is the failure of the high pressure fan switch. If this happens then the fans will run at low speed & not switch to high speed when the demand is there. The switch is located on the high pressure a/c line just pass the overflow bottle. It's in a very difficult place to get to. You can see it but getting to it is a challenge. I'll try to post a picture when I get a chance.

KiNgMaRtY

Thank you, if you could get a picture of it, that would be great. While I am at it I plan to replace the sensor on the bottom of the radiator as well.
Here is a picture of my engine bay that I had on my phone. I'll take a top to bottom later today:

Evo3 Turbo, ETS Piping going through the top.

I just remembered to take the picture but it's dark out so I'll do it tomorrow. For those of us lucky enough to still have a/c, the high pressure switch is on the high pressure line directly behind the overflow bottle. It has a 2 wire plug on it.

KiNgMaRtY

I have gone ahead and ordered the Tuners Nation Radiator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thank you all for your help. I'll await your pictures Garfield. I plan on purchasing a new fan sensor that goes on the bottom of the radiator. What do you think the sensor you are talking about is listed with Mitsubishi? I will attempt to fit the stock main fan but I doubt it will fit with my Greddy 3" Intake Pipe.

Street Surgeon

Just curious, but where might one find this Koyo radiator for the Galant? I've looked all over but I can't find it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

EDIT>>> I've found what appears to be an OE replacement, but it's small, are there any other performance alternatives?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned