The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idle Surge help

My car is finally on the road and it runs great, thanks to everyone on here.

From the beginning the car had an idle surge, It's around 900rpms to 1600rpms and never goes away. When the ac is on it stay stable at 2000 rpms yet after about 5 mins. it surges between 900 and 2000rpms. Now on vfaq things that can resolve the problem are egr block, isc failer, biss screw adjustment/ replacement. The car has vpc if that matters. I unplugged the isc to test it, vfaq said it should change the idle pattern, nothing happened. Egr blockoff only resulted in 3 stitches from drilling a piece of aluminum into my thumb, I called it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. Biss is all the way in.

What now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

524of1000

It could also be an intake/boost leak in one of the pipe after the MAS. Do a boost leak test and fix any that show up. I had some leaks near the throttle body and it was causing surging.

WaRrIoRs16

Check your capacitors for leaks. One of the caps sit right over top of a trace for the ISC drivers. It leaks and causes that trace to short and blow out, in turn it burns up your ISC drivers. With those drivers gone, your ISC will not be able to function properly. It's a simple check to do.

Last edited:

Mine ended up being the throttle body shaft seals. Run a BLT and you might find the cause.

Galactica

I know I'm a noob to these cars... Can someone clue me in to what the ISC is?

IncorpoRatedX

have you grounded the diagnostic plug and set the base idle? the BISS shouldn't necessarily be all the way in..

Eaglesfly

Quoting Galactica:

Idle Speed Control, its a stepper motor on the throttle body. It can often cause idle surge when it goes out.

I would look at the ISC itself and make sure its functioning properly.

AnotherNewb

Your first step should be a boost leak test and testing the isc with a multimeter. Also inspect all turbo inlet pipes. Im willing to bet that you have leaking injector seals, tb shaft seals and probably a busted intercooler pipe. Do those then check back.

Galactica

Quoting Eaglesfly:
Quoting Galactica:

Idle Speed Control, its a stepper motor on the throttle body. It can often cause idle surge when it goes out.

I would look at the ISC itself and make sure its functioning properly.

Thanks much. I figured it must be something like that, but I'm used to an IACV, Idle Air Control Valve. I must have a very similar issue because my idle isn't the same all the time and the car won't hold an idle if the AC compressor is running. Must be losing mine...

GSX_TC

i had the same problm about a month ago before the shootout, so i just got another ISC and sent my throttle body to steve monroe and throttle bodys .com and got it rebuilt with new everything and when i put it all back together the idle was perfect. so thats what i recoomend

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned