The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question: Best method to store struts and springs for 6+ months

alansupra94

I managed to find an excellent deal on Bilstein MR evo struts with Eibach springs.

I won't be installing these coilovers until at least April due to me needing the Galant in the winter and the fact that installing this setup will surely exacerbate the suspension/alighment/wheel bearing problems I have already. April I will be doing a huge overhaul of the car replacing everything worn on the body so I figured I would do that all then.

So I was wondering is there a good method to storing the struts so they don't blow or go bad? Keep the struts and springs together? Separate them and then re-assemble them when time comes? They will be stored in my basement so the temperature won't be fluctuating that much at least.

KiNgMaRtY

Just leave them assembled if they already are and maybe just throw them in a box or bags. They'll be fine.

alansupra94

Okay just making sure. I guess I have become paranoid after seeing so many K-Sport coilovers leaking everywhere.

alansupra94

Yeah but there was a time when my cousin's shop use to install tons of them. Got to the point my cousin thought it had to be something with the way they ship/store it. Then we found out that they are just garbage quality.

I was tempted to get coilovers but made more sense to get these and spend the rest on full clean maintenance of the whole suspension, poly bushing all around, nice sway bars and strut bars. For $160 I couldn't complain.

mountaineerjeff

I just leave them on my broke down heep of a mitsu.

transparentdsm

hahah ^^^ if there off the car plastic bag them just to keep dust from sitting on the strut shaft. when there not being used you want to keep them clean.

alansupra94

Got them today. Set of Bilstien MR shocks with Eibach lowering springs for $160. Can't complain! I will be cleaning them up and bagging them asap.

Not sure if this is relevant, when shocks are shipped they are shipped/stored compressed. Of course this could be just because that makes them take up less space.

alansupra94

Yeah I got very lucky. Best thing is, when they crap out, I will crunch the numbers, order some nicer springs and have Bilstien revalve them. Wouldn't even be that expensive!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts