The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weird noise coming from my transmission

transparentdsm

i was driving down the road the other day in third gear at about 40 or so and i hear this weir grind/smash noise, once i get down to about 30 the noise stops and if im over 50 its the same thing, no noise. now i know the car needs a new clutch and throw out bearing so i ordered those and a new flywheel. i will be putting those in the car in a few days but should i put in a new transmission as well?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i have a trans out of a 92 laser rs awd that has 97,000 miles on it and when it was in the laser it only grinds when i was slamming gears and only once and a while it would do that and only in 2nd gear.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif a little insight would be great, id rather do it once and be right.

transparentdsm

no one wanted to help??? well its cool, pulled the old trans to find a broke in half throw out bearing, burnt out clutch and a warped flywheel, decided im just gonna put in the different transmission while i had this one with 162,xxx on it out of the car and now the car runs awesome, just need to bleed the clutch a little bit more and im all done. car almost back to stock, just waiting on some other parts to come in and to find myself the motor bracket for the front motor mount... plus the bolts....

Are you meaning a driver's side motor mount or the passenger's side transmission mount I may be missing another mount in the car but it's early and a picture is easier to find the part from faster than me attempting to explain where they have come from in the car. Since the radiator would be in the way for a true front motor mount. Heck I may have what you are looking for laying around the garage, bolts I normally buy new ones from Fastenal. Take a picture of the location of the missing/broken mount and I'll see if I have it.

transparentdsm

it is the true front motor mount, the one that is right in front of the radiator, but its not the bushing part it is the part that actually bolts to the motor with two bolts, then the front motor mount has to be slid up into it. this is a picture of my Rs AWD and not my VR-4, but it is the right mount. its on the left hand side right in the front of the motor right before the transmission. and thank you very much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh mechanic's left not driver's left. Which part of the bracket do you need? Do you want the mount that attaches to the frame or the stamped steel bracket mount that attaches to the engine this part would go over the motor mount.

transparentdsm

yeah thats exactly what i need the stamped steel bracket. i have the frame and the frame mount with the bushings in it. that is what i meant mechanics left, not drivers left. i never speak from drivers perspective unless it is a driving problem, sorry.

Having worked autoparts and knowing my mechanic would get mad if I used anything but passenger's side or driver's side in the description of the location I know not everyone uses those terms. And the husband walks in with the part and a couple of bolts he believes are to it but without pulling them off of my VR4 he can't say for certain.

transparentdsm

well if you think that you have the part and the bolts take a picture of it and post it. let me know, i know exactly what it looks like.

Lets go $40 for the part and USPS shipping flat rate is $11.00 for the size box I need to use.

Thanks we apparently collect cars and motorcycles. Some are projects and we decided to give up a 2 seat convertible with a hardtop and performance tires, spare rims and snow tires all because the infant seat is unable to fit into it safely.

disregard the PM I'm blond /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I'll drop it by the post office today while I'm out getting supplies to work on the drywall and subfloor at the rental.

Oh well at least it's packed and ready to get dropped off at the post office when I go by it today. I figure you should see it around Thursday since it's going in a flat rate box.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned