The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV and cruising vacuum

mikus

I just ordered the 7lb spring for my TIAL to try to fine tune the release point - and it occurs to me as I'm doing the math for spring/shims, what about high vacuum during cruising?

Eg, if I'm decelerating or just light on the pedal, the vacuum Hg will pass the release point and my BOV is open, no? On MAFT or SD I'm not overly worried as that incoming air's not metered yet, just curious about this.

As well the BOV would be drawing in unfiltered air during this time... is that just something I need to accept?

mikus

From Jake N. of Tial, below. Sounds like air will always be exiting regardless of intake manifold... hoping to confirm with him shortly & will update

LINKY
Getting to know your TiAL BOV
First some commonly over looked facts about the unit:
- the spring ratings have nothing to do with boost
- the bov is a pull type valve - the vacuum sucks open the valve (which is why we have different spring settings for different vacuum levels)
- you need to put a washer on each side of the air fitting, they come with both on the inside so they don't fall out
- we have a -3psi spring for superchargers

the valve can be open or closed at idle depending on your air meter setup:

- if you are metering air BEFORE the BOV you will need to have the BOV shut at idle, unmetered air will be EXITING the bov and cause a rich condition because less air is entering the engine than previously recorded by the MAF sensor
- If you are metering air AFTER the bov it does not matter one way or another if the valve is open or closed at idle, since the air exiting the bov is before the air meter on the car you are going to get a correct mix of air fuel.
- if your air metering system is like this i would suggest a step lighter spring than the car is rated for, that will ensure you lightning quick response.

Is vacuum line size important?
Hell yes it is, if the line size is too small you will be restricting flow, which could cause problems. I've seen a LOT of evo owners get the required 1/4" ID line and attach it to the very small very restrictive connector right by the valve cover. the proper way to run the BOV is this: 1/4" ID reinforced line (brake line from autozone...it's cheap) running from the BOV ALL THE WAY to the intake manifold with NOTHING ELSE T'd into that line.

How do i know which spring i have?
It's on the box the unit came in

But i bought it used!
give me the SN on the top of the unit and I'll look it up

I hear you offer free bov spring swaps if my vacuum changes
Yes this is true, requirements are you must provide a picture of your unit and the SN from the top...some bozo's have tried to send us knockoff springs - we aren't stupid here guys, i can smell a fake from a mile away. you pay shipping, i turn the springs around the same day they come in. You must also include a note in the box with all of your contact info and what we are doing i deal with about 50-60 turbos/gates/bov's a week, when i open your box i need to know exactly what needs to be done, and will not ship back to the UPS store or the like.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:

As well the BOV would be drawing in unfiltered air during this time... is that just something I need to accept?

if you're running a maft set-up, you will contaminate the hotwire much quicker/more severely, which will shorten the life of the unit and more importantly affect the accuracy of it's readings.

Last edited:

mikus

My main concern was drawing air at cruising/decel Hg's -

What I've read (forums, and TIAL's post above ^) is that the pipes see some positive pressure because the turbo is always spinning, so air is always exiting when the BOV is open. The vacuum state is on teh other end of the throttle plate.

I'm still not 100% confident but it's plausible, opinions? I suppose all it would take to confirm is a boost gauge on the UICP

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned