The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

max speed?

Brunoboy

has anyone topped out the car? I know our speedometer goes to 145? ish area. Has anyone touched it or passed it?
-shane

Yao

150 16 years ago in nevada.

I had a FWD turbo trans in the car a few years ago.

On 225/50/17's

Had the car pegged at 7300 rpms and assuming 155ish mph. The needle was buried.

Brunoboy

damn, so there is no governor on these cars huh?

raptorWagon

Just fuel cut. But hey, the current GVR4 goes 225mph, think that is max speed so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just saying... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brunoboy

lol i wonder if that cluster goes around twice? lol

mountaineerjeff

I have kept mine buried for a nice run down in 'mexico'. we did a 8 hour trip in like 3h40m it pegged and just stayed there, all you are doing is fighting wind resistance at that point. but I was close to sea level, with a nice dense chilled air. pretty much optimal conditions. when I would let off, it felt like it took a few miles to wrap back to 150.

turbowop

I hit 120 in the quarter mile. That's as fast as I've had mine up to other than a couple of quick stints to 110 or so on the freeway.

alansupra94

Quoting raptorreed:
Just fuel cut. But hey, the current GVR4 goes 225mph, think that is max speed so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just saying... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yup. Mine has the potential to do 225mph

NickDromez

i took mine to 115 on the carquinas bridge late one night and it felt like it was going to fall apart on me. wind was howling, steering wheel was vibrating, and it felt hella loud

cheekychimp

120 mph in the NA 4G63 Galant GTi. Smooth as silk, zero vibration and had more in it for sure. I let off to allow the two DTM styled BMWs/Merc that had taken off from the lights with me to catch up but neither of them wanted to know and hung right back.

524of1000

Quoting boostdtalon:
Hell I still haven't had mine over 80 MPH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

This.

Pegged it a bit pass 145 going by 2 motorcycles (slow or scared riders not sure) almost ran over the 3rd one tried to catch his buddy but he was riding an R1 no such luck lol....

alansupra94

Quoting See4Ways:
140 but i just added NOS!!!!

Two of the big ones so now i can do like 300 maybe

You are going to blow the welds off the intake manifold

alansupra94

Quoting See4Ways:
140 but i just added NOS!!!!

Two of the big ones so now i can do like 300 maybe

You are going to blow the welds off the intake manifold

mountaineerjeff

I cant believe you guys have such raggedy cars? do you guys not listen to your own advice? I see so many threads on make sure your car is sound before you add power, then I see a thousand threads on adding a bunch of performance stuff, and yet no one has there car over 120? it kinda seems like a waste to me. its just weird that so many of you have cars that feel like they are gonna fall apart at 80. I drive my car at 90-100 every single day. (around here the speed limit 70 so 20 over isnt too bad on a 4 lane empty road.)

Im with cheekychimp on this one. my car feels like it belongs in the triple digits. but maybe ball joints and wheel bearings are over rated?

mpt72

Got 72 to 135 once. Open road, middle of the desert. Kept it there for about five minutes or so. Felt good on a decent highway, a rarity for California. Got home to find it busted a hose clamp off a radiator hose. Other than that it liked to stay around 90 for the most part.

SouthCaliVR4

160 by the gps, It did feel a bit light but the new suspension upgrades should handle that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif. There was some serious wind noise on the leading edge of the drivers door. Also though the hood hinges are tight the hood seemed to flex/bounce a bit.

90 on a frequent if not daily basis & a buck ten/twenty on road trips is also fairly common.

My favorite driving however, is twisty roads at a much lower speed. My passengers generally think it's plenty fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts