The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

driverside firewall access

mikus

finally getting around to running wires for wideband. Are there any good driver side firewall passthru spots besides the tiny guy by the throttle cable and the steering boot?

I was thinking about that jumbo ps fender entry but I don't think this LC1 wire is long enough to make it.

pot

Staff member
There is the 3-4 wires (ABS) that run just above the driver side fender that I think would make a nice, stealth, and "clean" installation. If memory serves me though, there is thick rubber grommet that these wires run through.

This install may include removal of the fender but I think it can be done w/o.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Like Pot said, you can access a rubber grommet under the D/S fender. Just pull the fender liner out and you'll see it up near the cowl area. I ran the wires for my wideband and some other stuff through there. Much easier and cleaner than trying to force stuff through the speedo cable boot or through the steering shaft boot.

jepherz

Staff member
I ran my LC1 through the passenger side, so I think either will work depending on where you're wanting to put the gauge.

BluFalcon

One thing that drives me nuts is when I see wires and vacuum lines getting passed through the steering shaft boot. It's probably just the anal retentive, OCD side of me coming into play, but seeing vacuum lines and wiring pass right next to a shaft that rotates every time the car is operated, seems like a really bad idea to me. The possibility of something getting caught, or chafed due to the rotation of the steering shaft might be negligible, but I have seen weirder things happen over the years. Plus in my opinion, it just looks like crap.

mikus

followup: with teh DS fender liner out there's:
- a giant well entry grommet up front, behind the ABS monstrosity
- a small well entry grommet near firewall for the alarm horn & relay
- a giant firewall exit to interior grommet

Plenty there to run wires through, and they all ziptie up between fender well & well liner. I went with the ABS/front path. Was thinking about deleting the alarm horn & relay wiring since I removed the hardware already, but wasn't sure what that relay was all about....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned