The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel pump ?

4doorboost

so i have an in tank wlabro 255. last week i smelled a little gas and found that my fill hose was leaking out of the bottom. i oredered i new one but for a temp fix i switched the hose around so the leak was on the top (so it wont leak). right after i did this the pump started whining really bad. when i turn it on its fine but after about 15 minutes its super loud. after about 20 min driving the car starts to sputter cause its not getting anough fuel. so i turn the car off and back on and again the pump sounds fine and works perfect for about 15 minutes. im wondering if when i switched the hose some debris got in the tank and is clogging the pump as its kindof a coincidence it would start to do this right after i messed with the fill hose. any help appreciated. also i have a bag on the pump maybe i need to replace the bag?

jmorri15

well if it was dirt logic would dictate it would be a problem that happens randomly not on a regular timetable, however now the one problem could be if there is a slightly clogged filter it could be causing the pump to be developing a vacuum that it cannot overcome

4doorboost

i mean when i flipped the hose some rubber pieces def fell on the ground so im almost positive some got into the tank. the thing is shouldnt the bag on the pump not allow anything to get in and clog the pump or anything down the line from the pump? and why would turning off the car then back on cause the problem to go away for 15 minutes.. it def sounds like the pump is whining because of a clog though? im going to try and replace the fuel filter and bag on the pump and see it that helps at all. any other help appreciated

yeti

Maybe open up the trunk and take out the fuel pump to physically see a clog?

Also check voltage at the pump to see if wiring is bad.

GSX_TC

prob just need another pump. do u have another friend that can lend you one just to see if it makes a difference?

mistaVR4

Is your 255 re-wired? Even if it is, these pumps are notorious for whining (which isn't a big deal, just a little bit more annoying), by switching the fuel fill hose around you may have stopped it from leaking but that would suggest that you fuel tank is also sucking in air due to the leak in the fill hose which would probably be a culprit to the cutting out. I think once you have the new hose installed it will most likely fix the sputtering, but the whining will probably continue. Hence the term "whinebro" fuel pumps.

GSX_TC

i wonder why mine isnt that loud, i have a 255 with a rewire and no interior in the back its all gutted and i can barely even hear it.

mistaVR4

Well, since yours is re-wired it would definitely be a bit more quiet that one that is not.

GSX_TC

i thought the whole point to re-wiring it was to get more voltage to the pump though?

mistaVR4

That is true, but the 255 even re-wired has been known to whine a bit. Doing the re-wiring just gives the pump the most steady power draw. It is a very worth while mod, all depends on the alternator, and other alternative accessories you may be running that draw power, fogs, stereo, etc....

I've always had the 255 in all my GVR4's, I never re-wired any of them and they would whine in tune with the turn signals blinking (no aftermarket stereo or anything other than stock). Personally it really doesn't bother me, however the Supra pump, or 3k GT pump seem to keep that whine next to nothing, when the day comes that I get 484 back up it will be re-wired, or I'll switch pumps because I want extra fogs, better stereo, etc...

4doorboost

its really loud, def not supposed to sound like that as ive ran it for 3 years and it was quiet. it litterally started right after i switched the hose around. even when the hose was leaking fuel it didnt whine or cut out so i know the pump is having extra strain put on it buy something. when i switched the hose around i cut the inch or so that was bad so it shouldnt be leaking any air into the tank. i just dont want to put a new pump in and then have my new pump get messed up also. the only logical thing is debris got clogged somewhere i think, its just wierd since the pump has a bag on it. im going to check the fuel return line to make sure the regulator is ok and switch the fill hose then move on to the pump.

mistaVR4

That does seem strange man? I'm not sure what to recommend other than looking for some type of clog in any or all of the fuel lines? As recommended above maybe try to find another pump you can try.

GSX_TC

I would let you use mine man, but your kinda far haha

thedsmguy

I once heard a story of a guy putting a small plastic bag in someones tank. It made the car run fine for the first while until the bag would suffocate the fuel from the pump when it got sucked into the pickup/filter. Then the car would die, sit for a while, the bag would float away and the car would drive for a while and do the same thing.

What a mean ass joke....

good story eh?

4doorboost

im just gunna wait till i have my new filler hose then go from there. i pulled the pump and everything seems fine but whos knows. i know that its sputtering after 20 min cause the pump is over heating from working so hard so either way ill prolly need a new one. once i get the parts in ill update the thread

GSX_TC

how much was it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned