The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

This may be a horrible idea but I'm going for it anyway!

Lukefraizer

So I took out my sunroof because it is broken completely and am welding in a panel into the open space! Has anyone else done this and if so did you just do it or did you get an insert from another car and put that one in? Also does anyone make an insert? Or have any plans for one?

GSX_TC

Yes somebody on dsmtuners makes these, their called sunroof plugs, the guy makes them in either carbon fiber or fiberglass. He makes them for 1g's and 2g's and prob VR4's too

4wheelsqueal

You can also take out the rail trim on the roof, drill out all the factory spot welds and weld in a roof section from a non-sunroof car. Also have to remove both front and rear windshields.

DR1665

What he said ^^^.

IMG00372-20101010-1247-500x375.jpg

Details. It's time consuming, but not entirely difficult. The ideal way to replace the sunroof lid with a non-sunroof counterpart would be to have the roof cut off a shell at the local yard (at least a couple inches down each pillar), take that home, separate the roof skin, set aside, then remove the one on your car. Note: This requires the removal of the windshield and backlight glass.

Lukefraizer

good to know! I dont really want to take out the front and rear glass so I will probably just weld one in for now until I make a carbon fiber one myself!

Tre3zy

why just just cut the whole roof off and replace it with a CF one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

AnotherNewb

Please don't just weld it unless you have more experiance than running a mig with flux core. You'll hate yourself for it FOREVER.... as mentioned before a fiberglass or cf slug held in with window weld would be a much better choice. As the saying goes if you don't have the time to it right the first time you'll have to find the time to fix it again.

The_Big_Weave

I did this a rally car I was trying to build, Found and old street sign flipped it over and then just drilled wholes and rivet it in. Just used silicon to seal it. Don't try and weld it if you get to hot it will warp the whole hood skin.

boostedinaz

^^^^

If you are just doing spot welds and space them out there is no reason it should warp.

Overkill

Use a wet rag to help cool the metal after each weld to keep it from warping. If you cool down the metal after each weld you should be fine as that is how they weld in quarters that are rusted out.

Lukefraizer

where could I be able to source a galant roof through? I am semi happy with how it turned out but not super happy so I will probably just go and get another roof. Any leads would be super helpful!

Diego

Luke there is a 90 GS in the Anderson U-Pull-It here in Greeley, color is dark blue

Lukefraizer

that is a good thing to know! I may have to come down this coming week after the race at HPR! it is much needed! Have you seen the Roof dents or anything?

Diego

Maybe some paint fade but that comes with age and being in constant sun abuse. No dents or rust spots that I noticed at first site. Lmk if you want to go out there sometime and pull that bastard.

Lukefraizer

will do! probably sometime next week ill be headed that way! need to get that guy taken care of quickly!

Diego

Went to the junkyard today. It was crushed and is no longer there.

Diego

Luke, I'm willing to bet that the junkyard on 34 going north to Loveland (going my way) would have one sitting in there. Lets check it out, when are you free.. Im going to Atmosphere today at RedRocks so I will be gone today but am free up til Sunday (if the car lives) to make it to Justin's "shin-dig".

LMK

Diego

Lukefraizer

Sorry haven't been on in quite some time! I will be available this weekend however. Saturday or something like that... not sure the Galant will be good to go though because of my suspension deciding to just blow up on me just for kicks and giggles... We will see where we get to! I'll post later this week to try and get something going.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts