The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How strong is a stock GVR4 Transmission?

Vr4junkie

My question is how much power can a Stock tranny hold SAFE with out having to worry about breaking somthing and tranny being in good condition

How much hp can the tranny take

Occasional Launching /DD?

DD/Raceing from a roll and not launching it?

Diego

The tranny can hold a bit of power as long as the necessary components are strengthened like the Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Clutch... you'll know its too much power when you start breaking ears off the tranny and disintegrates the trans into your firewall...

GSX_TC

It's when u break into the 400+hp mark that it starts to show weakness

Vr4junkie

So lets say for a setup like mine I'm shooting for 300-350hp how would the tranny hold up with occasional launching ??

GSX_TC

It all depends man, launching is exactly what quickly lowers the life of the transmission. they say instead of just dumping the clutch from a dead stop that it's easier on your drivetrain if you preload it first.

Jesh

+1 ^

Unless your putting down serious power, It just comes down to how you personally drive.

GSX_TC

Save up for a Shep stage 4 and be done with it

vr4play

1st gear and the center diff are the weak points. I have broken more trans than I can count back in the day making 305hp at the wheels. Evo 3 first and a 4 spider should have you set for a while. Dbl syncro 2nd is nice too.

GSX_TC

The stock syncros are weak as hell too, and also 4th gear is very fragile in those transmissions

raptorWagon

4th isn't fragile, it's the 1st gear in our transmissions. While it is taller than a DSM 1st, it's also very weak and doesn't take kindly to launches.

GSX_TC

Well I've seen enough horror stories of 4th shattering due to crazy power.

3rdstrikedsm

Forget all this manual trans crap and just get a stock DSM auto with a simple shift kit and a stall which has held mid 10's more times than I can count but yea other than auto being the only way to go as stated above the 1st is way weak as well as the center diff.

prestonztt

The stock trannys seem to do alright when there aren't hard launches and when your not shifting at 8500rpms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My car makes 600whp and the stock tranny is taking a beating for some reason. Sometimes it doesn't like to go into 3rd when I'm shifting at 8500rpms. As long as I don't make it go into a gear that it doesn't want to go in, it seems to do just fine. I never launch the car so that probably helps with its strength a lil bit. Its just a highway fun car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vr4junkie

So launching a stock tranny at those power levels is not safe.

Would it hold up fine lets say racing from a roll instead of launching it

prestonztt

I've seen 300hp cars break the tranny. So no, launching it with 600hp is not the best idea. They seem to do fine when your doing rolls as long as the tranny is in good condition. I've seen stock trannys that weren't in good condition destroy 3rd on a roll because when you make a lot of power and do that type of stuff, it puts a lot of load on it.

A well taken care of tranny, a good clutch, and good tranny fluid will help a lot aswell.

AnotherNewb

Quoting GSX_TC:
Well I've seen enough horror stories of 4th shattering due to crazy power.

^this. Just ask Ricky Nicholes (dacowgod) over on tuners. He goes through minimum of 3 shep trans a year because he grenades 4th gear. This time around he had shep build a custom dog 4th gear for him.

GSX_TC

Yep

Vr4junkie

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Forget all this manual trans crap and just get a stock DSM auto with a simple shift kit and a stall which has held mid 10's more times than I can count but yea other than auto being the only way to go as stated above the 1st is way weak as well as the center diff.

So the automatic transmissions are stronger than the manual transmission?

Terry Posten

They are not subjected to the shock loads. The converter loads up the gear sets and the wear is on the clutch packs.

GSX_TC

If u get a built auto trans from IPT you'll be all set. Consistency FTW

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts