The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Bumper, what are my options?

Not looking too good or cheap. I have searched on here for quite a while and the news doesn't seem encouraging. As per my other post, I had to use a key hole saw on my smoldering rear bumper cover to avoid blowing the gas tank/car up.

Maybe I could remove the foam and replace the center of the bumper cover with mesh. That's all I can think of.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

A photo would be good, I'm not familiar with the USDM umper, the JDM bumpers we have here are hollow with no foam. I have made repairs and seen them done in the shop though. Can't plastic weld these ones as I found out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif also fibre glass might not last. I would eather put a fibreglass patch behind the hole and put body filler over front, or glue a piece of plastic behind the hole and body fill from infront or if you want to put foam back inside use an expanding foam and then fill from outside with auto body filler using the foam as a backing. Hope that's clear.

Thanks for all the info. I might try to repair it or even replace it. Might pop some pics on here some time.

Okayplayer

I used SEM plastic reinforcement tape on the back side of the bumper, and JB Weld plastic repair epoxy on the front. I sanded it smooth and bondo'd it and put a fresh coat of paint on my front bumper and it looks really good. These items were about $10 each. 3M makes a better quality epoxy and goes for about $30 - $50. Takes a bit of time and practice but you can see the repairs on YouTube for tips. Just make sure you clean and prep the surface really well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts