The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help quick....need to get back bumper cover off it is smoldering!!

Will talk about what happened later...right now I need to get it off at all costs

Drilled with key hole saw and was able to get water in there but it is still smoldering...styrofoam is all black.

Running water on it for an hour and still smoldering!

Brunoboy

id say just cut it out, i think theres bolts in the trunk, theres a couple on each sides and take off the side markers. underneath there maybe some as well. if you need it off though, Id say cut it out and buy a new one later.

Found out how to get it out...stopped smoldering after an hour of water on it.

click

It's wrecked beyond repair at this point so I'll just go buy one later as you say.

Thanks!

Brunoboy

what happened btw?

Dunno, went to take a microsoft exam and came out to my car...rear bumper cover had a hole in it....kinda like a black hole right above the muffler tip. Figured the muffler was too close and that I hadn't noticed it and that it happened over time.

Parked it and came back 6 hours later and it was smoldering. That was after a 50 mile trip not exceeding 80 mph and no real high rpms etc.

Hosed it down to the best of my ability for 30 minutes with my neighbor mechanic friend but it was still smoldering.

Didn't want it to explode with it being so close to the gas tank, so cut my losses and used a keyhole saw to get water in there. Pulled out tons of black styrafoam so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

well glad everythings alright and it didnt explode, just remember it couldve been worse.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts