The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rot Roah...

creeping_death

Should I be concerned or would a simple cleanup and re-seal be ok here?

Dam they always do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Take a wire wheel on a drill and attack it (you can protect the car with aluminum foil tape), then put some rust converter (eastwood makes a product in your part of the world I think) on it with the intention it will seap into any possible rust. Sand the area, Re-seal (spreading the seal with a scotch pad will give that factory appearance) and prime. that doesn't look that bad, give it a couple more years and it might be worse.

Quote:
What are you suggesting for the sealant?

Who was that question directed at? Anything from these guys has to be good click Any 'rust clean up' around body joins needs sealer, water gets between the joins and causes rust, also (god forbid) there is any trapped rust still in there then you need to seperate it from any air/moisture and seam sealer will do that.
There is a posibility if you REALY know what you are doing then you can cut the affected area from the end of that panel off with a tiny cut off wheel on a die grinder, just to make sure there is no rust hiding under the first 1/16" of that panel.
I would remove the window trim aswell as there is a good chance there is a similar condition hiding there too.
Spray cavity wax or some other protectant over the repair when you're done. Maybe some one else can chime in?

creeping_death

The good news is that I have to replace the windshield anyway so... Yeah thanks for the info Justin, Eastwood rocks.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting Justin_Cosgrove:
Quote:
What are you suggesting for the sealant?

Who was that question directed at? Anything from these guys has to be good click Any 'rust clean up' around body joins needs sealer, water gets between the joins and causes rust, also (god forbid) there is any trapped rust still in there then you need to seperate it from any air/moisture and seam sealer will do that.
There is a posibility if you REALY know what you are doing then you can cut the affected area from the end of that panel off with a tiny cut off wheel on a die grinder, just to make sure there is no rust hiding under the first 1/16" of that panel.
I would remove the window trim aswell as there is a good chance there is a similar condition hiding there too.
Spray cavity wax or some other protectant over the repair when you're done. Maybe some one else can chime in?

Thats what I wanted to know thanks. Pretty sure I have to do the same thing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts