The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any one have Exprence with Jack Transmissions Rebuild Kit

Vr4junkie

Ok im looking to rebuild my Trans but still haven't decided /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifWhich Route to go I been looking at Jack,TRE,Shep,Dogbox Im shooting for about 300/350HP for now and 450HP Later down the road but not any time soon... This is going to be a Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior I would like to Launch it every now and then but not too often tired of breaking sh*t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I Been looking at this kit From Jack

click the price seems fairly good and i can have someone assemble it for me.If any of you guys have any experience with this kit let me know what you guys think about it and how its holding up and what setup you have with it.

Any oppinons or advise are more than welcome if you know a better route that i should go let me know im trying to do as much research before I Purchase anything

mistaVR4

Jacks.

Jacks is great but don't expect anyone to answer the phone or respond to an email for a few days. They've been overloaded with a lot of work lately. Took them about 6 weeks to get to my tranny, rebuild it, and wait for parts on order.

Vr4junkie

Quoting R34P3R62:
Jacks is great but don't expect anyone to answer the phone or respond to an email for a few days. They've been overloaded with a lot of work lately. Took them about 6 weeks to get to my tranny, rebuild it, and wait for parts on order.

What tranny setup did you get from them? And what do you think about there Trannys??

Vr4junkie

Quoting dlesser:
Shep.....and I say that having a Jacks in the GVR4 now.

Why do you say Shep instead of Jacks have you had any problems with Jacks or noticed a difference??

vr4junkie, we just hired a new guy to take care of the phones now, so we are easy to get a hold of. We tried to pass the savings on to the customer by not paying for a receptionist, but too many people complained that we didn't respond immediately, so we had to break down and hire one. Emails and phone calls are quick now.

We prefer email as we can go over things more easily and we have a record, unlike the phone.

Shep doesn't sell rebuild kits. We are not limited to just the kits you see on the website. If you want to rebuild the trans on your own, we would be more than happy to help you get exactly what parts you need and make sure they drop in without issue. Please feel free to email at any time. Thanks!! -Jack

Quoting dlesser:
Shep.....and I say that having a Jacks in the GVR4 now.

Don't you live in Colorado? If you are having problems with our unit, I don't understand why you don't just come down and have us look at the car. That doesn't make sense...

Vr4junkie

Quoting JackM:
vr4junkie, we just hired a new guy to take care of the phones now, so we are easy to get a hold of. We tried to pass the savings on to the customer by not paying for a receptionist, but too many people complained that we didn't respond immediately, so we had to break down and hire one. Emails and phone calls are quick now.

We prefer email as we can go over things more easily and we have a record, unlike the phone.

Shep doesn't sell rebuild kits. We are not limited to just the kits you see on the website. If you want to rebuild the trans on your own, we would be more than happy to help you get exactly what parts you need and make sure they drop in without issue. Please feel free to email at any time. Thanks!! -Jack

I have noticed that you guys respond Very quickly most my questions i asked so far were usually answered with in the same day ....Thats awesome that you guys do that with the kit i thought that was the only rebuild kit you guys offer diffidently ganna have to email you guys now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If i may interject a comment, i have spent quite a bit of time and money throughout my interactions with Jack and his team, and i couldnt be more satisfied with them or their product. Jack has gone to great lengths to ensure any problems i've encountered were handled quickly and professionally. I have to say that he has given me faith in performance type shops again. I have been screwed over by other shops in the past and Jack has displayed great business ethics on numerous occasions. But i also respect the fact that sometimes sh*t happens. If my trans has a problem that is my fault i tell him so. And he charges me accordingly. In the same respect, if the trans has a problem related to say, a bad bearing, and it isn't anyone's fault, i chalk it up to bad luck and try my best to assist Jack in any way possible so that he doesn't lose his ass trying to help me. In all, Jack's Transmissions FTW.

DynastyLCD

i couldnt tell you from buying parts from either or, however, i do plan on purchasing my gearsets through jacks when the time comes, simply from all the free education he provides on the site. from looking through the tech articles, and looking at the options of gearsets and parts, i have a much better idea on what i want to use when i build an all out transmission. i think its great that he provides customers like us who are frugal, and alot of us DIY'ers especially, that want to build our own beefed up transmission without paying for a complete one.

dlesser

Jack, not having problems with the unit. Currently it runs great and many of your past transmission have ran great. I recommended shep because I have had sheps in the past with great results too. The only difference I have had is with turn around time, phone calls, etc. It just required less effort in the process when I last used shep than it did with you. I always got what I needed from both shops, but call me lazy it just required less effort to deal with shep.

turbofonz

^^^ Well your "Shep is better than Jack's" statement is pretty bold, considering you're saying out of just laziness.

dlesser

Never said shep was better. Just said that given the choice I recently selected shep. Communication is key in any transaction.

EDIT: Plus if I had a problem then I would contact Jack. Same goes with shep. No need to air dirty laundry.

Last edited:

Quoting vr4junkie:
What tranny setup did you get from them? And what do you think about there Trannys??

I went with a 2.1 Value build with GSX 1st gear (5% taller) and Evo III 5th gear (10% taller) and 4 spyder diff all topped with redline. I can't really say anything about the tranny now because I am growing suspicious that the clutch is dragging due to the shop that installed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
On a good note, the taller gears made a night/day difference for city/highway driving. Jack defiantly set me up right with a bullet proof tranny, now I just gotta make sure the syncros are still fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Overkill

Have had Jacks Transmission rebuilds on both DSM and 3000GT VR-4 transmissions and they all have worked flawlessly. Had one issue where a clutch was dragging due to a customer adjusting his pedal on his own, but can't fix stupid and the car was fine after readjusting the pedal assembly.

Personally I always prefer to deal with vendors who are local as its much easier to complete a transaction in my opinion.

Vr4junkie

Quoting R34P3R62:
Quoting vr4junkie:

I went with a 2.1 Value build with GSX 1st gear (5% taller) and Evo III 5th gear (10% taller) and 4 spyder diff all topped with redline. I can't really say anything about the tranny now because I am growing suspicious that the clutch is dragging due to the shop that installed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
On a good note, the taller gears made a night/day difference for city/highway driving. Jack defiantly set me up right with a bullet proof tranny, now I just gotta make sure the syncros are still fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thats the same setup im plannig on getting either the 2.1value or 2.2HD with evo3 5th gear and 4 spyder diff....Sucks to hear that your clutch is dragging but once you get if fixed and start playing with it Launches,High RPM shifting,etc let me know what you think about it or like a mini review.

Gombos

I've had experience with Shep and Jacks. I went to sheps to drop off/pick up a stage 2 trans for a friend, who ended up selling me the trans later. I bought parts for my 2g trans off of jacks. Didn't have a problem with either shop. Jack's helped me out with selecting the parts that I needed to get the job done myself on my 2g trans and were very easy to deal with. They answered all of my questions very quickly. I ended up selling the shep trans and to my knowledge it's still in good working condition. So in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either shop. Both know their stuff and can get you taken care of.

Thanks for the kind words all! We really do care what our customers are going through and we have been changing our company to try to make life easier for everyone who has to deal with us. The problem is most people won't say anything at all to us if there is a problem, but we really do want to hear it if something made life difficult while working with us on any kind of order. We would prefer email, but if you need to call, please do.

We didn't want to turn this into a vendor thread, just wanted to make sure all was okay and if there was anything we could do for the person that wasn't completely satisfied with how things went. We have been paying a lot of attention lately to the email and phone call issues we had in the past and are trying to do everything needed here to make sure communication is better through us than anyone else.

Our next issue is to try to keep the hard-to-get parts in stock. A lot of the odd parts from Japan take forever to receive here and when we run out quicker than planned, that slows things down too. That seems to be the major thing which upsets people the most now and we hope to have that issue, which should be the last one we have, repaired too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned