The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

F/R window trim --- removal & clips

mikus

I've got a few window trim corners off and have ones to replace them. I don't see any obvious mounting bits on the windshield/body for these (which is probably why the originals are gone)

Searching suggests there are some sort of clips involved. What are those all about, is it worth seeking new clips out? I was thinking to 'glue' them in place instead perhaps, with some sort of glue I can heat or cut out if I ever needed these back off.

What part exactly are you talking about? could you provide a photo? maybe I can help as I'm trained in the panel and paint industry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you are talking about the black/chrome pieces that surround the windshield. The corner pieces are held on by the top and side pieces. the top and side pieces are held on by little white clips embedded in the windscreen glue! people don't realize that you are supposed to remove the trim by sliding it off so pull on it and brake the clips. A panel shop would glue them back on, just make sure it's in a way that doesn't trap dirt and moisture as they can rust in there.

mikus

^ exactly what you're thinking --- the corner pieces in particular.

I can get one in place, held by the horiz/vert longer pieces as you describe - but it seemed too loose, probably some bending has happened. Sounds like I should just get it in there solid, and maybe a dab of inconspicuous paintable glue to ensure it doesn't escape again.

Terry Posten

Just use a bit of silcone caulk/adhesive on the back side and figure a way to hold it down for 12 hours and let it cure.

Not enough to ooze out everywhere but enough to hold it down. There really is not force being applied and it just will need a bit of help staying put.

But clean everything really well as the adheshive wont hold otherwise.

Quote:
Just use a bit of silcone caulk/adhesive

Don't use silicon! it lets moisture under it and causes rust. I have a galant right now with glue shaped rust spots where sombody attempted to cure lose trim exactly like you are trying to fix. You want polyurathane adhisive preferably from a bodyshop.

The corner piece doesn't attach to the car so you could just glue it to the top/bottom trim pieces. Also if the corner piece doesn't still have the rubber pieces on it then it will appear like it's sitting too high.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The white clips (front windshield, different color in rear) are not embedded in the glue, but mount on the t-studs on the body. Often they are trapped in the glue, so I have used a sharp utility knife to cut around them when they need replacement.

The corner pieces (at the ends) can be slightly squeezed a bit to make them fit tighter to the side moldings. As they are often spread by the side to side wiggling that can occur when the corner and side pieces are separated.

Quote:
The white clips (front windshield, different color in rear) are not embedded in the glue, but mount on the t-studs on the body. Often they are trapped in the glue, so I have used a sharp utility knife to cut around them when they need replacement.

Forgot about the studs. I actualy like to cut the extra glue out just to let water run out and not sit, also to not trap dirt.

Iceman, do you have a Part# for the plastic clips?

mikus

the rubber trim underneath is gone or shot, on the replacement one as well as the corners still on the car. I'll find something at HD racing to cut to shape and replace. Thanks for all the info dudes, this board never lets down

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned