The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

external oil cooler

I just picked up my talon parts car and it has the 90 style oil filter housing with an aftermarket oil cooler. I was wondering if it is worth my time to swap out the housings to run the cooler. It doesn't look to hard to do the swap other then figuring out how to mount the cooler behind the bumper somewhere.
thanks,
ed

Terry Posten

It is worth it. But one bolt for the pump housing is behind the front timing cover. You can very carefully cut an access hole in the plastic cover to get the bolt out but take your time.

Search around on the members rides section and you will see how a lot of members have put the cooler core.

it figures one bolt would have to be a PITA to take off. I plan on taking the engine out of the talon so I can get an idea how hard it would be to remove around the cover.
thanks,
ed

what would be the issue? small particles left over?
The talon wouldn't start and the owner let it sit for over a year and when he finally got back to messing with it the motor would not move. We tried turning the crank with a 4 foot pry bar and it wouldn't budge. Pulled the plugs and they were completely covered in rust, I think he must have blown his head gasket and water seeped in and froze the pistons/rings to the wall.

BluFalcon

I've never felt comfortable using an oil cooler that came from an unknown condition motor. There's no way to completely clean a cooler to ensure that trash from the previous engine won't get into a new engine. If you're working on a budget and adding it to a junkyard or used motor that's one thing. However I've seen guys using junkyard coolers for their brand new rebuilt motor, which makes no damn sense whatsoever. Someone spends all the money for machine work and fresh parts, to cheap out at the last second with a used cooler?

Terry Posten

You should always flush the lines with brake cleaner or the like prior to reusing lines and cores.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned