The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where are the headlight adjusters?

Looking for the horizontal adjuster...wouldn't mind at all if I found the vertical. It looks like there is a hole in the top but it is sealed up...don't want to use the wrong size key and strip everything.

Thanks

I found them. It seems that I have to remove the headlight everytime I adjust it? I can't imagine being able to fit an allen key in there. I tried but there was no clearance.

Terry Posten

It should have rods that has a Phillips head tip so you can just screw it up/down and left/right.

Most of the time, they are rusty and won't turn, just kind of stripped out. Then you do have to it the hard way.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting blkchr91:
I found them. It seems that I have to remove the headlight everytime I adjust it? I can't imagine being able to fit an allen key in there. I tried but there was no clearance.

No, you slide a philips head screw driver down there and turn it like two perpendicular gears.

mikus

just me, but if your headlights are way out of whack and the standard adjuster won't turn I'd take 'em out and work on the adjusters. An overnight soak and maybe some grease will do wonders, and you beats trying until you break it

Missed this post....I saw one Phillips head and it didn't adjust anything. I will look around for the other now that I know what it adjusts.

Quoting Terry Posten:
It should have rods that has a Phillips head tip so you can just screw it up/down and left/right.

Most of the time, they are rusty and won't turn, just kind of stripped out. Then you do have to it the hard way.

All, I am having trouble figuring out where the screws are so I have attached a pic. The one circled on the left doesn't seem to do anything at all. Is this one of the adjusters and if so which one?

I speculate that the one I circled on the right might be an adjuster but I am not sure. I certainly don't see anything sticking out of there.

Is the screw missing or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks

So the left green circle does indeed adjust the headlight vertically. It happens so slowly that I had to take a power drill to it, to observe any change.

I can see where the horizontal adjuster is but don't see any clear way to adjust it from the top outside of the allen key in the rear.

Any ideas?

jepherz

Staff member
As I said before, you stick a philips head screw driver into that slot on the adjuster pictured on the right and turn in like a perpendicular gear setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

For the philips screw head on the left, yes, that is an adjuster. If you were to remove that headlight, you would see that the left adjuster philips screw is actualy just a philips screwdriver itself on the other end, and is doing the same thing that putting a screwdriver in the right adjuster would do. What you have to watch out for on the left adjuster is corrosion preventing something from turning. The parts that hold the adjusters together are all plastic, so if you try to adjust it when it is stuck solid, you will snap the plastic retainers and the adjuster will be broken.

Sorry, I can't find the words to describe it any better. Just stick a philips screwdriver in the right adjuster and you'll see what I mean.

Gotcha and very clear. Now what about an actual procedure for adjusting the lights horizontally via the horizontal adjuster. Vertical adjustment has always been pretty easy for me. I like doing things the easy way. For vertical adjustment, adjusting both lights to the same point on a wall (usually the bottom of my knees) has served me VERY well. As far as a horizontal adjustment goes, well I notice that alot of US Spec cars don't even have a horizontal adjuster at all so info seems to be more limited. Again, I like to keep it simple but can't think of any way to keep it simple with a horizontal adjustment. My headlights are out of wack (long story) and definitely need adjustment. Vertical adjustment is just fine. My only suspect is horizontal adjustment.

FSM didn't help very much.

Any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned