The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ebay clutch?

What is the best ebay clutch ...I dont feel like spending 350+ on a clutch just need something to last on the street. around 300 to the wheels...help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

ive been using a XTD Stage 4, unsprung 6 puck for the past 11k miles, back to back launching, still grabs hard with a slight increase in pedal feel. I paired it now with a Fidanza lightened flywheel and brand new OEM TOB.

dmj

Most Ebay clutches + 300whp= failure. That said you can purchase an Exedy racing stage I oem style clutch kit for about $300.00 that will hold a decent amount power. Shep trans sells them. Like the post above some people have luck with XTD

Last edited:

Brunoboy

my XTD has been launched atleast 40-50 times, still holds strong and it doesnt slip after back to back launches. $190 shipped to my door.

cool I will look into the xtd for now....that sounds really good. anyone else have luck with this clutch....I figure ebay anything is going to get some bias responses but pure facts is what im looking for thanks for the input on the excedy clutch though....still steep for me right now.

the XTD is a Heavy-duty Pressure plate *2300 lbs....how is that on daily driving, I would assume it could get annoying after a while.

alansupra94

Why not get a used ACT? I got a ACT 2600lb and it was pretty damn cheap. Love it too.

dsm10o0

I had the XTD stage 3 on my old 2g and lasted awhile with a bunch of abuse.Prolly got 20k + miles on it till motor went boom. Its a 6 puck with a spring disk, pedal pressure isnt very stiff which i like.

Ill be putting on a new xtd stage 3 on my galant along with an act streetlite flywheel. We'll see how that goes.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting usethe4ce:
What is the best ebay clutch ...I dont feel like spending 350+ on a clutch just need something to last on the street. around 300 to the wheels...help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

A stock clutch will do and not give you all of the problems that ACT or any of the other aftermarket brands give, Ptt or quartermaster are about the only to do it properly other than stock which is exedy btw.

It doesn't appear that their is any difference between the stage 3 and stage 4 XTD clutches on ebay, yet one is about $30 more am i missing something?

524of1000

Stage 3 is sprung, stage 4 is unsprung and holds more powah.

I think that the Stage 3 pressure plate might be a painted stocker and the stage 4 is a redesigned one.

I have the XD Stage 4 and after swapping out the PTT I now have an intermittently notchy 3rd gear that I never had with the PTT. No one has ever had any thoughts as to what this could be either.

Brunoboy

I put a rebuilt tre stage 2 in my car, during break in the trans shifted great now my third is kind of notchy as well =\, I don't think it's the clutch since it has 10-11k on it and it never gave me a problem before. Again the stage 4 is a streetable setup and I would buy it again.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting blkchr91:
I think that the Stage 3 pressure plate might be a painted stocker and the stage 4 is a redesigned one.

I have the XD Stage 4 and after swapping out the PTT I now have an intermittently notchy 3rd gear that I never had with the PTT. No one has ever had any thoughts as to what this could be either.

PTT has way less rotating mass which makes it much more easy on syncros as the syncro does not have to slow down near as much weight, I have had more than 3 dozen DSM's gvr4's and evo's and 1 thing I have learned over the years is that buy a twin disk right off the bat because there really is no single plate clutch set up worth a damn and I have had most all of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif John from TRE says the same thing as I do.

Yea a single plate will hold power but will not shift properly for very long as they need constant adjustment and DSM/GVR4 trans missions unless built do not like high rpm shifting at all esp with a single plate set up!

Very interesting....my tranny is a Noyan Rebuilt....but this happened instantly after putting the XTD Stage 4 setup in there (in my case their lighter flywheel too). No abuse whatsover after switching over. Not to hijack but someone over in one of the EVO forums said something about removing the slave cylinder restrictor and it fixing that problem. Running straight synchromesh as a diagnostic for a few thousand miles and no difference. Others say Redline MTL-90 is the fix for it. Funny how my was never notchy with plain old Coastal 75w-90 before putting the XTD in.

Quoting brunoboy:
I put a rebuilt tre stage 2 in my car, during break in the trans shifted great now my third is kind of notchy as well =\, I don't think it's the clutch since it has 10-11k on it and it never gave me a problem before. Again the stage 4 is a streetable setup and I would buy it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

My twin disc PTT took all the splines off going down the road. I couldn't risk that again. Getting stuck on a 2 lane road with no shoulders and no warning whatsoever is crazy. Crazy thing is that this happened in 3rd gear.

Not so sure it's my synchros. If you try to move it into 3rd without pressing the clutch in, the idle drops just like all of the other gears and it won't go in easy. I heard that is a good test for bad synchros.

Really who knows what's wrong...just sharing my post XTD Stage 4 experiences.

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Quoting blkchr91:

PTT has way less rotating mass which makes it much more easy on syncros as the syncro does not have to slow down near as much weight, I have had more than 3 dozen DSM's gvr4's and evo's and 1 thing I have learned over the years is that buy a twin disk right off the bat because there really is no single plate clutch set up worth a damn and I have had most all of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif John from TRE says the same thing as I do.

Yea a single plate will hold power but will not shift properly for very long as they need constant adjustment and DSM/GVR4 trans missions unless built do not like high rpm shifting at all esp with a single plate set up!

Brunoboy

Quoting blkchr91:
Very interesting....my tranny is a Noyan Rebuilt....but this happened instantly after putting the XTD Stage 4 setup in there (in my case their lighter flywheel too). No abuse whatsover after switching over. Not to hijack but someone over in one of the EVO forums said something about removing the slave cylinder restrictor and it fixing that problem. Running straight synchromesh as a diagnostic for a few thousand miles and no difference. Others say Redline MTL-90 is the fix for it. Funny how my was never notchy with plain old Coastal 75w-90 before putting the XTD in.

Quoting brunoboy:

I am running 2:1 MT-90-MTL

3rdstrikedsm

If the pressure plate is not releasing fully then it will have this issue you describe which is also common with this type of clutch as it is too small to begin with and when you try to get massive clamping pressures from it then the quality goes down hill fast.

Brunoboy

i have been using it though, the problems are recent. and i think it releases plenty considering im using an extended rod the whole time.

3rdstrikedsm

That is a horrable band aid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif You could have been over extending it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts