The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Traction issues..... Lets talk tires

onesickcrx

This is on my Galant VR4

I am having traction issues with my car I keep spinning first gear and some times 2nd from a roll not from a dig. Anything more then 50% throttle I start spinning inner front and rear tires coming out of turns..... 1st-3rd if not it turns into a full drift looking show........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have BFG KDW2's on it right now 225/45/17... I have tried 35psi 33psi 30psi 28psi 25psi nothing seems to help....

I have set my D2 coil overs and I have set them at 0 5 15 24 30 and 36 with same results... Other then smoother ride and takes bumps better no help with traction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Now my braking seems like I can lock all four tires up easy like too easy. I think I am just at the point where these tires just wont cut it?

So am thinking about trying a set of Nitto NT-01 or Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 any recommendations? I am going to buy some new wheels and go to a 245/45 or 40/17's

I plan to run my car at two 1/4 mile events a year and around 3500 street miles a year.... I have no issues with putting a new set on every year.

What kind of tires are you guys running?

What tire pressures?

Any ideas....

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Galant? Try star spec tires for a good grippy street tire but most important we need to know what car this is on?

onesickcrx

Whats the stickiest tire I can get away with running on my Galant on the street should be more my question...

kartorium

245's might help a bit, maybe some sway bars as well depending on the spring rates of those D2's. You'll find all sorts of info and opinions across the net about using more bar or more spring to accomplish basically the same goal, however, I tend to think that some decent bars are necessary coupled with good coilovers. Even with 255's (azenis) I can make the inside tires spin on exit if I drive it that way and my car just has a 16g. It might just be you're driving it that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif if you're making a decent amount of hp no amount of tire (on our cars at least) will keep the inside from spinning if you don't know how to utilize the throttle at mid corner-exit.

Now, if you're car is spinning through 3rd in a straight line you're either making asstones of hp, spraying armour-all on your tires, or indeed have some very worthless rubber.

More tire will undoubtedly help though. I have always liked my azenis, also have always liked the Kuhmo equivalent. I've never really used a tire under 200 rating for the street though. I'm sure both the RE-11 and Neova would work great. If you're a bit more into drag maybe go with whichever one you can get a softer and taller sidewall with, maybe consider running a 16 for some extra sidewall. 16x8 and some 245's would probably suit you best. 245/45/17 is a pretty big tire.

Boostdtalon

I used to run Rt-615's and loved them but I'm leaning towards getting Nitto NT-05 next. My friend has them on his X and they are awesome tires on the street and amazing on the track.

prestonztt

How much power are you making? Those KDW's are a pretty grippy tire. I had Falken FK452's on my Twin Turbo 300zx that made 500whp and the hooked pretty well. Falken Azenis's are a very stick street tire aswell.

brisvr4

I'm using a friends set of Nitto NT01's at the moment. They give me a lot more grip than the old Pirelli Dragons that I had on it.
With the Pirellis I'd lose traction in 2nd and 3rd once boost came on.
The nittos don't show any signs of losing traction at all. I'm not sure what the lifespan on them is like though.

onesickcrx

I would guess my power level is around 400 whp right now.

I have D2 coil overs set at 15
Cusco strut bars front and rear
White lines sway bars 24mm front and 26mm rear set in middle position
Jay's racing active steering eliminator kit
Energy subframe bushings also in front and rear control arms
TunersNation rear upper adjustable control arms
TunersNation Subframe/Mustache Bushings
Eliminated the 4WS
Manual power steering rack freshly rebuilt
New Moog ball joints tie rod ends and sway bar links
I had it corner balanced and I did a fresh alinement with a person the same weight in the driver seat
I also installed a TunersNation stainless steel brake line kit when I installed the ABS delete

Any advice would be helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I forgot to mention 4 bolt rear and Sheps LSD in front

Last edited:

onesickcrx

Quoting brisvr4:
I'm using a friends set of Nitto NT01's at the moment. They give me a lot more grip than the old Pirelli Dragons that I had on it.
With the Pirellis I'd lose traction in 2nd and 3rd once boost came on.
The nittos don't show any signs of losing traction at all. I'm not sure what the lifespan on them is like though.

Yea I have read a lot of good things about the NT01R I think I might give them a try. I read somewhere last night that a guy got 10 track days and around 2500 street miles on a set and was still going on the same set. I put around 80- 120 miles on it a week when the weather is nice so thats ruffly 3000 miles a year plus 10 passes at the track a year. From what I have read I think they can handle that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

PreskitVR4

dont think i would run NT01's on the street. What if by chance you got caught in the rain? NT05 is a good compromise. I have daily driven RT-615s for years, even those suck in the rain. Hankook RS3, Dunlop Starspec, Toyo R888, these all work very well. Kumho XS seems to work better on lighter cars, dont know how they are on our AWD pigs. I know from experience, that the Kumho MX has too soft of a sidewall for our cars,and I'm pretty sure that tire doesnt exist anymore anyway. I speak from an enthusiast stand point, with lots of time at road race events, and eight years at Discount Tire Co. Hope my .02 has been worth the read.

kartorium

Quoting onesickcrx:
I would guess my power level is around 400 whp right now.

I have D2 coil overs set at 15
Cusco strut bars front and rear
White lines sway bars 24mm front and 26mm rear set in middle position
Jay's racing active steering eliminator kit
Energy subframe bushings also in front and rear control arms
TunersNation rear upper adjustable control arms
TunersNation Subframe/Mustache Bushings
Eliminated the 4WS
Manual power steering rack freshly rebuilt
New Moog ball joints tie rod ends and sway bar links
I had it corner balanced and I did a fresh alinement with a person the same weight in the driver seat
I also installed a TunersNation stainless steel brake line kit when I installed the ABS delete

Any advice would be helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I forgot to mention 4 bolt rear and Sheps LSD in front

Haha, yep, sounds like you prolly just need more tire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can you still search closeout tires on tirerack? I remember that was a great way to run R compounds and not feel too bad about wearing them out on the street cause you could find some smoking good deals on some quirky sizes.

onesickcrx

Lets assume I don't get caught in the rain since I do not take it out of the garage if theres a chance of rain. I looked at the starspec's I just don't think they are going to cut it either... Now I am interested in the Toyo RA1's and I will look into the R888's they look sticky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brianawd

LSD in the front diff and if you can find it a evo 3 diff for the back. Take a look at TRE to see if they still have any left. That really is your only way to fix the wheel spin coming out of a coner

Olson

LSD LSD LSD,. RE-11's good tires super sticky star specs have them on my evo and there great tires. REAlly look at any auto-x tire out there and they should fit the bill well

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Some Real good Sticky tires that wont spin on you are Advan A048R or Toyo RA1's, or even the Gforce R1

JB

Quoting Brianawd:
LSD in the front diff and if you can find it a evo 3 diff for the back. Take a look at TRE to see if they still have any left. That really is your only way to fix the wheel spin coming out of a coner

He said above he has a shep front lsd and a 4 bolt rear lsd already.

thecman02

When I autocrossed my 245 bfg kdw2's they were very easy to overheat. With that said, they were also easy to tell when you were getting them to hot. Those 225's were probably just getting overwhelmed. Going up in width will help or getting a tire that can take the punishment of being overworked.

alansupra94

I think some jackstands will help your traction problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Olson

Quoting thecman02:
When I autocrossed my 245 bfg kdw2's they were very easy to overheat. With that said, they were also easy to tell when you were getting them to hot. Those 225's were probably just getting overwhelmed. Going up in width will help or getting a tire that can take the punishment of being overworked.

If the KDW's are easy to over heat i bet they have to many cycles and are hard as a rock. plus 225 is a small tire for that kind of power go with the 245

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts