The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New VR4 Evo 0 Monte Carlo - Wheels Question

MX4

Hey guys,
I recently picked up this 1991 Evo Zero Monte Carlo. As you can see from the photos the wheels it came on arent to flash. So I have picked up a set of forged SSR's. The previous owner has spraypainted themk so I need to get them repainted. What do you guys reckon would be a good colour to paint them? I dont want to go silver or white, maybe bronze. What do you guys think?

My other question is will a 225/50/16 fit on the car with a +38 offset. The wheels are 7" wide.

Cheers all!!!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Nice, can u post a pic of the back of it. Those rims look like old cobra rims.

I've always liked the SSR Integrals. Very clean design. Konig copied them with the Villain but didn't forge them and thus many people tracking them have discovered cracked spokes.

I would likely keep them silver if it were my car.

Yes, a 225/50-16 tire will fit. I run 225/55-16 and have no issues with rubbing.

MX4

Cheers guys

Darksyne - I was told they were SSR type f wheels but could never find any similar on google so its good to know their correct name, cheers!!

i have the same rims on my vr4 at the moment, with the bigger brakes going on soon i'm going to have to upgrade to wrc evo tarmacs.

H05TYL

Pretty sure that's my mates old Monte Carlo.

If indeed it is, here's a pic of it with mine.

z200701-3.jpg

z200701-1.jpg

MX4

Yeah it sure is Nikk, do you have any history on it? It came with receipts for a rebuilt engine

fuel

is it missing an intercooler??

GSX_TC

were these really called Evo O ?

fuel

"Evo 0" is a nickname for the Evolution spec VR-4, which none were actually badged as such, but could be recognised by the chassis number and diff ratio of 3.909. The Monte Carlo edition was a version of the Evolution spec VR-4 to commemorate their win in Monte Carlo - it was essentially an addition to the standard road going Evolution VR-4 (as opposed to the RS) and had the Monte Carlo stickers, wheels painted black in the same fashion the USDM rims are painted body colour and a few other cosmetic changes.

H05TYL

Quoting MX4:
Yeah it sure is Nikk, do you have any history on it? It came with receipts for a rebuilt engine

It had a bunch of work done just before Jordan sold it - that was several years ago though, not sure if the reciepts are from then or if the next owner had it rebuilt.
I do no Jordan mostly used it for cruising around and it never saw the track or the strip whilst he had it.

Fuel: It had no intercooler in my pictures as the original one was damaged from hitting a bike rack and leaked - he fitted the pipe so he could drive it (gently) to my place to fit an Evo4 'cooler.

Also the vr4 never won the Monte Carlo rally.

GSX_TC

Quoting fuel:
"Evo 0" is a nickname for the Evolution spec VR-4, which none were actually badged as such, but could be recognised by the chassis number and diff ratio of 3.909. The Monte Carlo edition was a version of the Evolution spec VR-4 to commemorate their win in Monte Carlo - it was essentially an addition to the standard road going Evolution VR-4 (as opposed to the RS) and had the Monte Carlo stickers, wheels painted black in the same fashion the USDM rims are painted body colour and a few other cosmetic changes.

Cool. Thanks man, I love learning about these cars. i wish there was like a whole video soley based on the Galant VR4. i'd watch it all the time!

Last edited:

MMCVR4

There were VHS videos by DUKE, but I'm not sure if they made it to DVD. Ari Vatanen, Pentti Airikkala (RIP), and Kenneth Eriksson were some of the notable drivers, during the late 80's and early 90's seasons in WRC.

click

Last edited:

number3

SSR #3

I bought them polished (not chrome)

Nice car mate but there are several reasons as the why I believe that's not a real Monte Carlo.

1. All Monte Carlo's came standard with a sunroof.
2. Monte Carlo's never had the lights on the front fender's.
3. The stickers on the rear door are positioned incorrectly. Way too far forward.

Sorry to burst your bubble. There seem to be a few Monte Carlo replica's around now.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Didn't the Monte Carlo's get a 35/65 split on the center diff instead of the normal 50/50 ..........Seems like we had a Russian Member with one. Miromik or something like that.

fuel

^^ that was the Cusco Tarmac center diff wasn't it? Or perhaps the actual rally car which competed in the Monte Carlo rally had the 35/65 split center diff? I'm pretty sure the road going Monte Carlo edition VR-4 was just a tarted up high-spec model with body colour matched rims and stickers.

H05TYL

Quoting Vr4_Evo:
Nice car mate but there are several reasons as the why I believe that's not a real Monte Carlo.

1. All Monte Carlo's came standard with a sunroof.
2. Monte Carlo's never had the lights on the front fender's.
3. The stickers on the rear door are positioned incorrectly. Way too far forward.

Sorry to burst your bubble. There seem to be a few Monte Carlo replica's around now.

The cars been re-painted at some time in it's life, and the stickers replaced - I'm unsure whether a monte would've been plain gloss black like this one is now, or metallic black originally.

Replica or not, (and god knows how you would find out for absolute certain) given theres no mechanical differences between a 'real' one and the more common vr4 evo - does it really matter?

Dasith

Didn't the Monte came with some luxury interior stuff?? like leather or suede seats and so on??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned