The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bye Bye Engine

prove_it

Well here's my story,
Driving down the interstate the other day and suddenly the engine died. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Pulled over and attempted to restart it, nothing but sweet sound of 'buuusussszzzzzzz'. Well that was the sound of the starter turning over the crank without turning the cams... hopefully you all know right off the bat what that means. So I sat there waiting for a ride thinking to myself, how the hell did this happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner only has 20k miles on it. She wasn't leaking anything, and I was only cruising at 60mph.

Well....

I put a new belt on it to check if I had compression. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Noted nothing on all cylinders. Hmm, great hell the needle didn't try to flicker. Now as I was dry cranking the engine I noticed that my new belt would get wetter after check cylinder check. So I took a look and found the crank seal had blown out and even under light pressure I had oil leaking directly on the belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif New OEM seal that is supposed to NEVER fail, failed. Soaked the belt immediatly, and caused the belt to give up. I had no warning signs, no drips on the ground, nothing. Sad, Sad, Sad, day indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll have carnage pics up as soon as I get the head off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I plan on having a discussion on whether or not my Wiseco's will be able to be saved.

Oh, and I just hit 140,020 and broke. Just hit a milestone... oh bother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts