The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Batteries

TylerAdamson

I'm in need of a battery for 934 and have been looking over my options for a small lightweight battery. So far I've come across two different options. JNZ tuning sells a Shuriken sk-bt20 which measures 7.5"x6.5"x3" and weights around 14lbs and then there is the Stinger SP-680 which is 7"x3"x7.25" and weights around 15lbs. Now both batteries have comparable specs, but the prices seem to be hugely different($80 vs. $150). I'm wondering if any members have used either battery and can share their experiences good or bad.

PreskitVR4

I like optima. With how often you have to Change out alternators, dont wanna add starters to that too. I have the yellow top for a Honda, small
Still meets OE spec, and I have worked for interstate batt for 5 years, and know for a fact that all those lol lightweight batts are unstable under high stress of cranking over a car, especially with auto belts, stereo, etc. My .02

pot

Staff member
I've had good luck w/ the Odyssey P680. I've found these usually retail for $75.00 depending upon where you shop and where you reside. I've also found these brand of batteries to be the lightest. Be forewarned though, the cold cranking amps are quite low. I believe the P680 offers just 220 CCA.

alansupra94

Any small battery is going to offer crap cold cranking for the most part. I have had success with Optium and Odyessy batteries.

Now what people don't know that hve problems with them is that they don't like to sit for extended periods of time. If you let it sit and discharge, the battery will die. I have seen it happen several times to my friend until I suggested to get a trickle charger. Now his has lasted for 4 years and still going. I always trickle charge my cars when I have them sitting for over a week and never have had a battery problem.

TylerAdamson

The CCA aren't much of an issue as I just moved to a warmer climate. I just need a battery that smaller in dimension to fit on the front subframe in my engine bay and lighter is always a plus. Once I get the car up and running I hope to be able to DD it so battery drain shouldn't be much of an issue and I also have a trickle charger if it does sit for an extended period of time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts