The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CALLING ALL 2.3L w/BIG TURBO

hi all, im starting a street/strip project build for 302/2000 once again. i will be building this bullet around the +700 awhp capable BW EFR8374 turbo CLICk ME. im thinking o.e. 100mm crank with manley "turbo tuff" rods and j.e. 9:1 pistons. i plan to leave the head bone stock for documentation purposes only. i will fully build the head with cams, valves, springs & retainers and a race port after i get some baseline numbers. so my question/reason for this post is i would like to know real world results. engine rpm, spool times, turbo response, horsepower and torque numbers. since this is also my street car i would like to know how a stroked car handles things like passing on the highway or pulling a steep hill and simply zippin around town..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Race mode: i had originally planed to use a GT4088r(88mm) but when it is compared to the Borg Warner EFR 8374(83mm). bigger isnt always better i guess. the efr 8374 flows 79 lbs/min quicker and maximum engine horsepower is reached at a lower turbo psi than gt4088. the 8374 is a beauty starting a 45k and peek boost by 67k with a 1.05 a/r. i would like to hear from you guys, what turbo you are using, fuel, ems, rpm range, ect.. i would also like to see dyno sheets if you have or if you can put in words the what the power band is.

FYI:tuning will be done utilizing a Pro EFI standalone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

slugsgomoo

my experience driving a 2.3L @ 8.8:1 with a T67/p-trim is that it makes more power before positive manifold pressure than a stock 1g does, at least by ass dyno. I was able to pass people going up hills without downshifting with ease, and never get into boost unless I chose to.

It's really hard to drive a 2L on the street after getting some seat time with a 2.3/2.4 to be totally honest.

Hey man, sounds like it's gonna be a fun setup, I have something similar in the works, mine is an OEM 100mm crank that I had cryo'd, CP pistons, and Pauter rods. I'm running a PTE 6262 on my 2.0L in a Mitsu footprint, I will be moving it to the 2.3 with a T4 hotside, and either a .68, or .81 A/R. Head from my 2.0L as well, which is "street ported," plus a Kiggly valvetrain, some custom cams, and L19's.

Anyways, if you don't get a huge response here, you should check out ECMLink forums, you have to sign up, but there are a LOT of stroker guys on that site making crazy numbers in street cars, even on pump gas.

curtis

That there son is a grown ass man turbo and really don't know if you want that much. Not sure how fast you want this but a 83mm wheel will do some serious work. Probably 4 digits. I know what they say its rated for but you have to think about the little flying evo he's running a s375 and is way above that. I had the extended tip 362 with the bullseye housing sold it to another local he's went 106 in the 1/8 another buddy has the 366 from Bullseye with the race cover and has went 108. The honda I helped put together last summer has a weirdo truck schwitzer non extended tip in a .82 ar bullseye turbine and he went 134 in the 1/4 spinning the whole track on just 15psi creeping to 17 and mid 500 on the dyno. I think the inducer is 58mm on it but the exducer is as big as a small 400 series. Later this spring he's going back to the dyno and turning it up to 40 so should be in the 700 to 800 range.

If I was buying it I'd get the 1.05 housing and let the thing breath up top but holy crap its going to be fast. 9 second fast, better start trying to find a chassis shop because your going to get kicked off the track first full pass without a big nasty cage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

sounds good! i was mostly concerned about the engine rpm limitations being fairly low with the 100mm crank, but after speaking with reed @ Supernatural Turbo and Full Race i was convinced the 1.05 hot side is the only way to go. the EFR uses a gamma-Ti turbine wheel so it spins like a .85 or .95 on a garrett piece. so i wont need to spin the engine that high to achieve full boost. BW put a lot of time into the EFR series and i believe the price is well worth it.

anyone using FP3 or FP3x cams?

Check this out, there are video's of this guy on you tube in a white 2g 2.3L with a bw s362, I didn't see the actual printout or screen, but it says 691 @ 36psi on pump/meth:

click

There are several videos of this dyno session, building boost from like 26 or so...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts