The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant vr4 ramen noodle budget build

So I picked this galant vr4 up late last month from some guy who lived in council bluffs. Anyway the guy really didnt take care of the car, the interior was really dirty, the exterior is missing some pieces and needs little stuff painted, and the engine bay is a cluster f***, it has a blown 13b turbo, poly motor mount inserts, and suspension bushings. So my plan is to...clean up the wiring etc in the engine bay, get a 14b, paint the stock wheels black, paint valve cover and other little stuff in engine bay and paint the door trim. Also I need to get a radio bezel for the stereo and im goin to get a gauge pod that i can mount on the steering wheel, and get 6k hids and replace all the lights with LEDs. And that pretty much it till im done with school then ill completely rebuild it. Now on to pics.
heres how the engine bay looks now
119_0021.jpg

Nartanian

How is the car mechanically? I wouldn't worry too much about the interior and what not until it run like a top.

AnotherNewb

Why replace a 13b with a 14b? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Seems like a 16g would be the logical replacement, unless you have a 14b laying around.

Romanova

That poor poor car! Please give it the love and attention that it deserves!!!!!

im replacing it with a 14b because the oil seals on the 13b are shot...and I will be keeping it simple, and getting it in tip top running shape is my first priority. I will be ordering up a gasket set in the next week...cause its got a couple little oil leaks that need fixed. Also I started to tuck and clean up some of the wiring, I reran some of the vaccum lines I also ran the injector harness and throttle body cable under the fuel rail. It looks a lot better ill post pics later or tomorrow.

So I picked up the 14b tonight and cant wait to put it on
119_0041.jpg

Also here are some before and after picks of the engine bay so far
BEFORE
119_0021.jpg

AFTER
119_0036.jpg

BEFORE
119_0026.jpg

AFTER
119_0039.jpg

Just let me know what you guys think of my engine bay cleanup job so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

524of1000

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to save you the trouble and money that I went through/lost on my build. Take care of any mechanical issues first and foremost. Maintenance Maintenance maintenance. Before you "Bling it out", put HID's, ect, fix the problems. Check compression. make sure all components are in good shape. Boost leak test. Check your ECU for caps. Make sure all the issues are fixed or you're throwing your money away.

Im not going to take it the wrong way but by bling it out i meant...just clean the turbo up and make it look nice. And as far as matenience heres a list of what ive done so far
Oil change/change transmission, transfer case, and rear end fluid/ changed the spark plugs out for new ngk spark plugs/ cleaned the k&n air filter/ boost leak test has been done and the leaks have been fixed and ziptied for safety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif/ I also had to fix the wires on the tps because they were shot and one was not connected/ the wires for headlights were also pretty jank they werent soldered they were just twist nutted together. Ive fixed the passenger side and im starting on the driverside soon. And In the next day or two im going to order a gasket set so i can take care of all the little oil leaks. So yes matenience is number one on my list of things to do everything else comes later.

check out which fuel injectors you have. the pictures show a plug that i am not familiar with, not to mention that the wire harness is definatly hacked into. you can tell by the black and red tape.
you are going to have to figure out what the previous owner had done to the fuel system, and MAKE SURE it was done right. or else put it back to stock, then it will work for sure.
get a "dsm datalogger". ASAP. it's the best diagnostic piece of equipment for these cars. costs $100 off ebay.
this will tell you if your engine is happy or angry with what you do to it.
i wouldn't personally drive that car until i figure out if the fuel system is at least safe.

you can't just throw random injectors into an engine and expect them to work properly. there are lots of little variables that make the system function properly and if the computer doesn't know what you've done, it has no way to know what to do. the car may start and run and even make some power, but you could be burning out your injector drivers and damaging your computer.

IncorpoRatedX

those connectors are 2g quick release clips. nothing to worry about. Wont hurt to check what injectors the car has though just in case.

GSX_TC

Looks like you got the JDM headlights. Lookin good so far man, keep us updated

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts