The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny going out

Well with 202,000 miles my tranny is starting to grind a lot and not go into gear. Any suggestions on an affordable way to go to get a new one?

ktmrider

You live next to one of the suggested rebuilders of these boxes ( Jack's Transmissions in CSprings ).

Be careful of "affordable", usually = the bad Cheap.

MellowVR4

Either you can spend the money and get it rebuild, or you can take a chance on buying a used trans and see how that works out. In my opinion i will get it rebuild because if you think about it people normally spend about 300 to 500 on a used trans thats got some miles on them. with the extra 300 to 400 you can a for sure good trans. so thats just my opinion, im getting mine rebuild by tmz performance which i got lucky because i dont have to spend the money on shipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif think about it

turbowop

Is it grinding in all gears or just one or a couple? I suggest you make sure it's the trans first. Is the hydraulic system for the clutch working properly and not leaking?

donkeylips

I've gotten 4-5 for between $150-$275 and only had one blow up.

Nabeel

Seems to me. You need only to change the tranny oil.

Im with wop on this, Always check the cheaper options first IE fluid,shifter cables,Hydro system. Seems strange all gears would start grinding at the same time. Did you use a new clutch fork when you install the clutch?

Jesse

Adorsey

Shimmed the pivot ball when it was clutch time?

I'm gonna change the oil and see what that does. Anyone recommend a certain oil?

3rdstrikedsm

Redline mt/90 or oem mitsu diaqueen for an evo mr 6 spd.

donkeylips

I think its 2.6qts *edit-2.4qts* but don't quote me on that. MT-90 and the like are pretty expensive oils to put in a tranny that may be on its way out. I would probably try some penzoil synchromesh maybe mixed with some cheaper gear oil and see what kind of results you get because it's cheap and the synchromesh is pretty good for eliminating grinds, although it's not the best to use long-term.

If you start the car in gear on a level surface with the clutch disengaged and without pressing the brakes, it doesn't move at all? And when you let up on the clutch pedal as you would when you want to start moving, where does it grab? Right off the floor or higher up? If it grabs right off the floor your clutch is just out of adjustment. You can also get underneath and watch the slave cylinder while having someone press the clutch pedal to the floor. Make sure it isn't leaking, and that the pushrod is extending properly. Look at the window where your clutch fork is sticking out of the transmission. Is the fork to the right or left of center(driver or passenger side)? You want it centered, or a little bit towards the driver's side. These are the basic things to check to make sure your hydraulic system is able to do its job properly.

Last edited:

My tranny is spewing gear oil. Looked to see where the leak is from and it is somewhere from the back of the transmission. Any ideas guys?

And i found out its not the tranny. Now it wont go into gear without forcing it in and it grinds horribly, i think the springs may of fallen out of the cluch

donkeylips

Quoting GVR4_671:
Its the tranny, its a relatively new staged clutch, gears are grinding

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
...sorry. Did you ever check the the hydraulics/adjustment?

Diego

Seems like a popular thing to go out here in Colorado. My trans is still messed up and feels like gummy bears in the peddle. And grinded before the loss of peddle. New trans and new clutch with only 50 miles on em, brand new slave and it still woes me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned