The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo X turbos...

Whoodoo

...now point the right way. Anyone think about putting one on your car? It would take a custom manifold and O2 housing, but people have made those before.

cheekychimp

Yeah, I thought about it. Got quite close to actually doing it. There is a fair bit of resistance to the idea on here. Most people will state that the EVO X turbos produce no more power than an EVO III 16G for an insane amount of fabrication to make them fit. I still think the twin scroll is a major upgrade though plus once you have a manifold done all the aftermarket EVO X turbo upgrades become bolt on. I think an EVO X FP Green with meth injection produced some pretty impressive numbers not just in terms of overall horsepower but in terms of power/torque under the curve.

The whole issue with this for me is that the EVO III 16G is constantly heralded as the best bolt on upgrade for this car but I find it something of a coincidence that it was the last evolution of the 4g63 turbos that matched our engine configuration. I am pretty sure if Mitsubishi hadn't twisted the 4g63 180 degrees in the EVO IV that we would all be singing the praises of EVO VIII and EVO IX 'bolt on turbos'.

Is it cost effective? ... I would have to say after crunching the numbers, no probably not. Would it be a damn neat setup that fabricated correctly just once would offer a near lifetime of bolt on turbo upgrades that offered access to 20 years of evolution in turbo technology ... hell yeah.

Edit for some inspiration on fitting Evo 8 through 10 turbos on an old school 4G63 look at these links :-

Evo 8 turbo on a 1st Gen

Evo 8 turbo on a 2nd Gen

Revshift 2G to Evo 8 Manifold

Evo 10 turbo (with 20G wheel) on a DSM

Last edited:

alansupra94

To be honest, I think it might be better for our cars to run this because it would keep that downpipe heat away from the alternator. I actually might be doing this when I go Holset just because I will need more space more than likely. Keep in mind I haven't looked physically at it so don't quote me.

If you have a welder that does work for free, I would say go for it. If you don't, just be sure to plan so you don't have to pay for a million revisions.

I have thought of running an evo 8 turbo on the gvr4. They can be picked up for like $250 in good shape with lines. I cant seem to find a good evo 3 16g close to that. From what I have read, the easiest thing to do is get a tubular manifold. Cut the turbo flange off, swap it 180* and then run a evo downpipe with a modified flange at the cat/testpipe.

524of1000

^^^^^^^
Broxma and I were going to throw an Evo8 turbo on mine. It's a it more complicated than that. A LOT of custom welding is required. It is do-able and if you have everything already I say go for it.

beaner

Considering what's needed, it makes you wonder if other OEM turbos would be better for the same $$ ballpark. Either way you're doing custom everything.

desant78

wow this seems like one hell of a summer project....back in the day apparently for the 3000 vr4's it was like GOLD to find exhaust manifolds that allowed for use of a 16g. i bet the same things is gonna happen with this soon...hopefully

BrandonEchols

OMG...the twin scroll 20G is sects.
I want.
Might have to seriously consider that route instead of the Holset VGT.

RedTwo

Quoting cheekychimp:
The whole issue with this for me is that the EVO III 16G is constantly heralded as the best bolt on upgrade for this car but I find it something of a coincidence that it was the last evolution of the 4g63 turbos that matched our engine configuration. I am pretty sure if Mitsubishi hadn't twisted the 4g63 180 degrees in the EVO IV that we would all be singing the praises of EVO VIII and EVO IX 'bolt on turbos'.

I have this crazy idea that the CRHA of the H and HR turbos must have very, very similar dimensions. It seems crazy that they would keep the compressor wheel the same (mirrored) and then completely redesign the rest of the turbo just to turn it around 180*.
I just to need to pull some strings and get Jeremy's shop unearthquaked to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I can't remember which website I found it on but they were claiming unofficial 'measured' flow rates of the TD05HR-16G6-10.5T and 16G6C-10.5T from the Evo 8 MR and 9 GSR as 580 and 610 CFM respectively (around 41 and 43 lb/min), So a touch more than the 'published' flow of the TD05H-16G6-7 from the Evo 3.

cheekychimp

To be honest that makes a lot of sense, particularly given Mitsubishi's track record for changing things in increments and the fact that the FQ400 models proved fairly conclusively that stepping up from the very well sized 16G gave more power at the expense of extra turbo lag. I really don't see Mitsubishi going more than marginally bigger with these turbos in a production model all the time that they retain the 2.0 litre, 8.8:1 CR formula they have used for the last 8 years.

By the way, I take it that that Revshift 2G manifold would still bolt up to a 1G head, but is it going to fit in the rather more cramped VR4 engine bay?

Last edited:

Help me out here (cause I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to memorizing cfm's for turbo's, sizes, yadda yadda); but how much more/better does an Evo VIII/IX/X flow over an Evo III 16G? I know they each are a little different from one another; but I 'assumed' they were all fairly close. Unless you're going to meth or something outrageous; I would think that each of these turbo's can do 400whp all day long with the proper mods. Want more than that? Prepare to spend some money. (yes; I've seen cars push more with these turbo's, but 400 is a good spot to say anyone can make it there with those turbos without getting ridiculous)

So why go through the hassle of of getting something that's not a bolt on, will cost you MORE money to mount; but still 'stock'? When your end result will be fairly close to the Evo III 16G?

'Cool' factor?

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

I've seen dynos of the stock evox turbo making 400whp at 3500rpm. That's very impressive IMHO. Twin scroll is awesome and I want it...

How hard would it be to adapt the manifold from the X to fit a DSM head? Images I've seen show a rectangular bolt pattern instead of our staggered bolts. But if the port spacing matches I could imagine an adapter plate that would either bolt in or possibly be welded to the X manifold...

er... found a thread.
click
Looks like the runner spacing is off a bit. Custom manifold and downpipe to make it work "right". Still, seems like one of the big fab shops could offer a kit...

Last edited:

dsmless

the write up on the exo x setup in a cramped evo 2 engine bay is a great article, and for a street car a twin scroll turbo is a very good option, fast spool and not as hard on your tranny, will look into this as a option for my 89 turbo colt project

BrandonEchols

I'm so interested in the Twin scroll 20G now, it's all I've been thinking about since I saw that thread.
Is there a cast manifold that would let us fit the X housing and take advantage of the twin scroll?
I really don't want to run a tubular manifold on the street.
If the VIII/XI manifold would bolt on to our head, and the flange is the same for the X turbo...this could be a fairly easy street swap setup.
Does anyone know if these bolt together properly?
How would the WG be handled? From all I've read, you need dual wastegates for a twin scroll setup?

raptorWagon

^ That's my only question, will the 8/9 manifold bolt up to early generation 4g63s? It would just save time and money, but not a big deal if I need a custom manifold. I'll be using a 8/9 turbo on my '76 Galant, the turbo already face the proper way for me.

raptorWagon

Awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! Just wasn't sure since the intake manifold isn't a direct bolt up.

BrandonEchols

Quoting RedTwo:
Yes the TD05HR manifolds are a direct bolt up.

Direct bolt up to our 1G head, or direct bolt up to the Evo X turbo flange...or both?

dsmless

yeah but the thing is that a evo x turbo will not bolt onto the dsm head as the 8/9 manifold does notice the diffrence in flanges, thtas why the dude on the last link cut and welded a dsm flange onto the evo x manifold
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts