The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1605/2000 build (updated 2012)

asmo

Current pic 10/12

'The start
04/10/11

I picked this car up last month, It is mint with the exception of missing the passenger door moulding, and small ding on the fender, the previous owner had parked it 6 months prior due to a bad water pump? It has no rust and it looks like brand new, pefect seats, headliner, everything. This will be my second vr4, I sold 1807/2000 last oct when I lost my job and have wanted to get back in the game since.
This is what I started with

interior is perfect
the wheels are terrible

Last edited:

asmo

The third owner/previous owner fried the motor,someone installed a mbc, left a few open vacuum lines, curbed the hell out of one of the rims, and completely melted the engine down. He thought it needed a water pump and parked it. This is what the head looked like.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

What better way to start a new relationship. First you dig through the lies, explore every nook and cranny. Then after a complete and expensive tear down you get To enjoy the fruits of your labor at the expense of thousands of dollars...haha but back to the car... nice find and welcome to the board.

asmo

I was hoping to do a water pump, t-belt and have a driver, nope the idiot tryed to fix this with stop leak!. The piston walls have a few deep scratches, so out comes the motor.

Look at the manifold it has four large cracks, he must have drove till it stopped.

Last edited:

asmo

Pulled the motor out last weekend.

Cleaning and degreasing. The cas was leaking some, but engine was fairly clean.

Last edited:

asmo

Update 05/11 Finally recieved all my parts, and got the engine off to machine shop.
Last month I Bought theese 17" wheels off the local e-classifieds, great summer wheels.
I will refinish the stock wheels before winter.

And Tinted the back windows. Ill do the fronts after inspections /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

asmo

Painted the front calipers red,

Got a dsm shifter from the junk yard.

striped the paint off the valve cover.

waiting for the parts to dry.

And got all the parts to put the engine back together, its now Bored 20 over, polished crank and standard bearings, etc.

GSX_TC

Lookin good man, I like that valve cover

asmo

Got evo struts with sprint lowering springs from local part out.

Degreased/cleaned the trans.

Painted the block and bolted on the head.
Its all starting to come together now.

asmo

few updates got the engine together,

Ported the 14b turbine,

Rebuilt the turbo,

got it all bolted back together.

asmo

Finally got it all back together, The ride is great with the evo struts and swift lowering springs.

Okayplayer

At least you know that you have a fresh reliable setup.... Nice car and smart build. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

GSX_TC

I love builds like this that update every lil thing they do, sh*t is awesome man

asmo

Thanks guys, I plan on using it as my daily and upgrading as I go. Now I have a good starting point to build from. And gsxtc I was just looking at your's in the members section, your car is so saweet.

Galactica

Wow that's a hell of a build! I love it!

GSX_TC

Quoting asmo:
Thanks guys, I plan on using it as my daily and upgrading as I go. Now I have a good starting point to build from. And gsxtc I was just looking at your's in the members section, your car is so saweet.

Hey thanks man!

asmo

update 4/2012:
over the last year I added- downpipe, 3"exhaust, bigger fmic, redid hot side piping to 2" but still bottle necks after cooler. fmic is a smaller one only 2.5 thick and barely fits behind the bumper.I didnt want to cut the bumper support.

Have the car down for upgrades so thought Id update this post
Going for 260-280hp
I want a fun daily and plan to try to do a little autocrossing
Ill be adding
2g Exhaust manifold, 2g maf, 560cc evo injectors, keydiver chip, evo9 fuel pump,
bigger intercooler cooler piping.
here are a few pics of exhaust and fmic.

Last edited:

asmo

Had to get a 14" hayden fan to fit the 2g intake pipe

Intercooler piping my friend welded up for me

The stock cooler next to mine

not as big as some here have, but should be enough to support my build.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts