The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tire Size? 245/40/17 or 255/40/17

I just ordered a set of 17x9+25 rims and am undecided about what size tires i should run. I already know that i may have to do some grinding to the rear trailing arms because of the width and offset of the rims. I plan on running Hankook R-S3's in either a 245/40/17 or a 255/40/17. It would be ideal if i could fit the 255's, but i just want to make sure the setup has a possibility of fitting before i order tires. I understand that i am going to have to do some work to the fenders to get these to fit, i just want to make sure that it is physically possible before i order anything. So in short, will extensive rolling and shaving to the rear control arms allow these guys to fit? Thanks, Daryl.

Tires
click

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Karter runs 255's on his 8.5" wide wheels. I don't remember all the details, but he had to do some grinding in the rear and some fanagaling with the front coilovers and camber angles to keep the from rubbing on the springs. Once you go wider than a 245 on these cars, the tires become progressively harder to fit if you're trying to keep it all under the fenders.

Tre3zy

damn didnt realize how good white rims look on a BG galant.... i think ima have my KOSEI powder coated white like this

PreskitVR4

I have 18-9.5 +35, and they barely touched the rear arm. Your +25's should clear, but you gonna prolly be in the 4-5 degree negative camber area to get it under the fender, and that's assuming a 245 tire width.

kartorium

Quoting turbowop:
Karter runs 255's on his 8.5" wide wheels. I don't remember all the details, but he had to do some grinding in the rear and some fanagaling with the front coilovers and camber angles to keep the from rubbing on the springs. Once you go wider than a 245 on these cars, the tires become progressively harder to fit if you're trying to keep it all under the fenders.

Sadly my car looks almost exactly the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I can say that the dirt on it in those pictures isn't the same dirt that's on her now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With a +25 you might not have to grind the rear arm.

kartorium

Quoting PreskitVR4:
I have 18-9.5 +35, and they barely touched the rear arm. Your +25's should clear, but you gonna prolly be in the 4-5 degree negative camber area to get it under the fender, and that's assuming a 245 tire width.

really? Pics.

Oh, it might be worth noting that the passenger side looks like it sticks out a bit more because that fender is bent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned