The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gauging interest/establishing value HKS bits

ducttapeguy

Hey all. I am thinking about selling my HKS turbo kit. I dont really know what its worth. In another thread boostedinaz estimated the value at 2500-3000 for a complete kit in good condition. Mine isnt in the greatest of conditions but it is complete and is partially ceramic coated. Anyway, Ill put up some pics and hopefully yall can help me figure out what I should set the asking price at if I do sell it, and also see if there are many interested people. It would also be cool to compile information and history on the HKS turbo kit so if you have the knowledge please share.

Last edited:

ducttapeguy

Also, I have this whole setup sitting in my room right now so if anyone wants more pics then just let me know what you want a picture of and Ill put it up as soon as I can

ducttapeguy

Turbo kit is the original HKS T4 turbine kit:
T4 cast manifold, ceramic coated
T42 turbo with a .48a/r T4 hot side
HKS cast O2 housing
50mm HKS racegate that dumps back into the O2 housing

mitsuturbo

This may seem like a dumb question, but why does the last photo NOT look like a T4 manifold, OR an HKS manifold, for that matter?

EDIT: actually, this pic looks JUST like the Turbonetics T3 manifold i had back in '03

img.php

Last edited:

curtis

Well the crack in the flex is a normal thing with these. The one Paul bought had a crack in the same spot but was welded up. Probably a better fix would be to cut out flanges and install a steel braided flex like off a small car so some kind. I'm sure ebay has them that size. As for dirty and rough it needs a visit to the bead blaster cabinet and it would be fine. As for the turbo any big shop could machine that housing to a newer technology turbo. Schwitzer, 35R, 30r etc.

ducttapeguy

Quoting mitsuturbo:
This may seem like a dumb question, but why does the last photo NOT look like a T4 manifold, OR an HKS manifold, for that matter?

EDIT: actually, this pic looks JUST like the Turbonetics T3 manifold i had back in '03

img.php

Yeah, my bad guys, thats the manifold thats on my car right now. I grabbed the wrong photo off my HD. Sorry for the confusion. And BTW that is a Turbonetics manifold. Yall are good. Ill get rid of that pic straight away.

mitsuturbo

IIRC that manifold alone was around 1150 USD when new. It's still worth bank, as it's one of the tried, true, and very rare good manifolds out there. That gate is dated and huge.. so not a lot of draw there. The O2 housing is a very nice design as well, and is pretty rare itself. I'd say about 1500 would be a really sweet deal for someone, and i'd expect about 2k to be the "going rate".

This is because i'd have ZERO interest in the turbo, and while the turbine housing looks VERY nice, i have to wonder about compatibility with current offerings. If it's a common T4 housing, then i would guess the 2500 range may be acceptable, especially with a RTR turbo.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting curtis:
As for the turbo any big shop could machine that housing to a newer technology turbo. Schwitzer, 35R, 30r etc.

How efficient is the housing though. If machined for the new wheel(s) will it be just as good as a Schwitzer or FP turbo?

curtis

Paul if you took the stuff apart and measured the ID and OD of the wheel then the install distance as well as material in there you could come up with some dimensions to work from. Then do Google searches for different wheels on various turbo you may find one that fits right in or find one that can be machined to fit.

My buddies honda has a 3 series schwitzer on it nothing special, journal bearing and off a 10 liter cummins. Hell the replacement is around 400 for a new cartridge.

We picked it up like new on a truck in the junkyard north of here for 150 bucks out the door. Got home and called Bill Devine at Bullseye and gave him the part numbers and after a few minutes said yea we have a housing for that its 200. Car went 106 1/8 and 134 1/4 spinning on low boost 15 creeping to about 17). The housing is a .82ar, I'm sure any industrial machine shop could chuck up the housing in a lathe and spin out the metal you don't want. As for the .ar not alot can be done about that and not sure what the HKS is but it could be gasket matched ported and polished up on the inside and move it up some from a .48 to .63, .63 to .82 etc etc etc. Its just metal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned