The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Part it out?

Just wondering if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to part out #448 instead of selling it. I have it listed for sale for 2700$ taking an absurd loss on the car since i picked it up originally for 2k

If i were to part it out everything on the car is good minus the windshield and back seat back.

Will i come out ahead of the 2700$ listed price?

trans is new rebuilt with warranty and clutch pp flywheel have 300 miles on them. Motor has 150-150-160-160 compression.

Any thoughts?

Launch

Take better pics, make a better listing? ... Have you even tried autotrader or your local craigslist?

IS the title NOT in your name? ...that could be a BIG issue with buyers, you should get that done and regestered, would help alot

Everyone takes a hit on these cars, your not gna turn a profit owning and fixing one thats for sure, but its doesnt look like you've lost any more than insurance and registration would cost?...

fastfalcon94

I've parted out several cars (2 stealths, 1 3000gt vr4s, 3-4 dsms and a spyder), only one of them I actually owned. And I ended up keeping the shell for a year or two and then restoring it lol. The remaining ones were craigslist finds, that I bought to make money selling parts. I make a spreadsheet of every part I know would sell, and about what they go for, usually a little less, and then weigh my options. The real money is in modded cars that don't run, or need minor work. Buy them, strip off the mods to sell, return it to stock, get them running, and sell a stockish car or drive it for a while then sell it. If the car is mostly stock, I don't think you'd get $2700 worth in parts for it. If it's running good you'd be better off just listing it for sale everywhere, taking good pictures, and fixing the small stuff.

that is what i was wondering if people fetch much for the oem parts on the cars. Oh well goes up and down everyday want to keep her dont want to keep her dont /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BluFalcon

Personally, I can't stand it when people part out a car that can be saved with a little work, solely to try and turn a profit. If it's wrecked, or a rusted out basket case, that's one thing. Unfortunately, it seems that lately there are way too many good, solid cars going to the crusher because the "owner" just wants to make a quick buck. I can see their point, as no one wants to lose money on something. They can also argue that they're merely providing a needed service, as there is a demand for parts out there that can only be filled by scavenging from other cars. If this demand didn't exist, then there wouldn't be a market for the parts from a part out, right? After all, it is their car, and they can do whatever the hell they want with it. It just seems like some folks take an almost perverse joy in doing so, which makes me wonder why they're really here. Merely to peddle their wares? Who picks modding cars as a hobby, and expects to break even or actually make money at it? Some people do expect it, and actually manage to do so. Good for them, I guess.

I'm not completely innocent in this matter, as I've parted a few vehicles myself. Probably a total of four since 1998. Three 1G Talons and one GVR-4. The Talons got sent off to other owners as rollers, and put back on the street. The GVR-4 was returned to stock and sold as a running car to a friend. Still running today. Resurrected a few rollers and shells myself as well when circumstances permitted. My Save/Kill ratio is on the Save side, thus far. Haven't had to take one to the crusher...yet. That's just me though.

Mind you this is just my opinion, and I've voiced it before on here. I'm sure some folks have words on this subject as well.

It's your car, so you can do whatever you want with it. Parts for these things are getting harder and harder to find, so I'm sure you'll have no problem finding buyers for just about everything on the car. Just seems like a waste if there isn't anything seriously wrong with the car. I'll get off the soapbox now.

Last edited:

curtis

Take better pictures, vacuum it out and shine it up first then Put it on ebay with a no reserve and your 2700 starting bid and sell it. Maybe put on the auction willing to drive x miles as long as you pay for my plane ticket back home. Maybe then someone on the east coast will fly to Dallas, Denver etc and meet you there then you you fly home and they drive the rest of the leg back east. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Launch

I spent more on one of my GVR4s, and had to fly out/drive it back. Found it on a Wednesday, flew out on a Friday. Drove from Nashville back to Dallas when it was $4.xx/gal.
There's a owner out there for sure, its just hard times for everyone...
I've yet to part ANY car Ive owned, lol all 8 or 9. I did break one and sell it, in which the owner turned it into a extremely well built car. I rebirthd dead cars from their given up owners, had the same car come back (coltlol) ... But ive never parted a running car, hell ive kept rollers till i saved enough 3years later lol

Im sure the new perspective owner is gathering money or cant find your ad lol. You can just give it to me and I'll take care of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Free of charge

Maybe i should raise the price and it would sell better! I put it on CL and only got like 2-3 emails all saying ill give you 2000$ if it runs and drives. I reply with a SURE and bring me another 1000$ on friday and you can run and drive it home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Then you get the 4-5 people saying okay ill take it...wait it has a crack in the windshield? wait the rear seat upholstery isnt perfect, oh theres back registration..i dont want it.

I figured if i could sell the engine and tranny for a quick 1500 or so, i could sit on the shell and slowly make another 1500$ in parts. I will be patient and sit on it another week. I like the car but for the other 3-400$ i would put into it (registration, insurance) Thats money out of pocked on a car i really dont need. / end rant.

Also i had no idea this car was such a pain in the butt to work on.

Brunoboy

Quoting MrP:

Mitsubishi wards off the Weak, im in it for 13k with the car, and right now im sitting with a broken tranny....

Hard to work on, sorry at my uncles shop we only work on 70s and older.

actually im going to snap some pictures and be right back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But yes it was a PITA getting the trans out of the galant. I had never worked on any import stuff before, and i tell you it was a rude awakening. SO many things have to come out to replace the clutch it is a pain in the butt.

SEE i DONT want to be like everyone else 6000$ in a car i cant sell for 2700$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
It changes every day. Might end up stuck with her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I bought my last vr4 that someone gave up on 5 years prior and brought it back to life, and have used it as my daily driver for over 2 years. You doing the opposite seems sad; Don't part it.

Perkul8r

If I had the money and space I would be more than happy to pick up a couple more Vr4's. The drawback is that they are all pretty far away from me. Aint much around ND. lol. It does suck to see cars like this just end up being parted out.

Sadly I see alot of that happening, specially with dsm's. Everyone is parting out their cars cause they can make more money back that way.

thedsmguy

You will not likely get $2700 out of it.
Motor $5-600
trans $300
Tcase $100
exhaust $100 (maybe)
interior $250 (maybe)
wheels $100
and maybe another 4-500 in random crap.. Total 1950 if your lucky, plus how long are you going to sit on it? How much labor to pull all those parts?

Good luck either way but honestly, I feel your pain.

misterfixit

Well here in the uk in the mid ninties there was a massive boom of bringing Jap400s (bikes) over and selling them, they came by the container load. They opened up a racing class for them and everyone had one... they were dirt cheap and got broke for parts if they were less than 100%. Now switch to 2011 and gorgeous little bikes like the NC23 NC29 GK73A NC30 are RARE because everyone chopped them up into pieces, raced them smashed them up, hell just wrecked them.

My VR4 i'm in about £2000, have driven it less than 3000miles in 6 years, but it runs, is clean and parked at the side of the house with the alarm on. Have spent 3 years collecting solid panels and other parts, and when the time comes i'll be able to fix the body properly.

Its got a cracked windshield and i practically have to sweep it up everytime it gets jacked up but I'll save it. Afetr my accident i've been watching for these to come up here but they are very rare...

As was said here earlier it's up to you what you do with it, but if you bought a louis the 14th dinner service missing some items and some were bust would you "part it out" or hang on to find the whole set, or help a museum or some other person who would cherish it have it and complete it.

Hey a windshield here is £100 fitted, so is it really that much of an effort there? If you bought it thinking it would be worth shed loads then you made a mistake.

Rich

Don't wreck it without a VERY good reason.

Diego

Quoting brunoboy:
Quoting MrP:

Mitsubishi wards off the Weak, im in it for 13k with the car, and right now im sitting with a broken tranny....

This..... but more $$ and I'm sitting with a F'd clutch peddle that won't stiffen.

KiNgMaRtY

Don't part it. Spend the $100 on an aftermarket windshield and it will help you sell it much faster. If someone sees a car for sale and they sees a big cracked windshield, remember it's big, its hard to get past that. Plus it shows that the owner isn't willing to change something so inexpensive, how well taken care of the rest of the car be? Remember image is big.

True but it all adds up

windshield 100$

Registration 200$

rear seatback? 100$ used if im lucky

Full detail 150$

Glovebox latch? ~20?

theres 550$ just to sell the car for? 3000$ if im lucky...

I just cant justify it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If i didnt have a clean daily already i would gladly keep the galant, but the facts are i got 20mpg mixed driving with it. My explorer gets 18-20mpg mixed. Not to mention it looks a whole hell of alot cooler and is just as fast/nice. The galant replaced a motorcycle i figured i would be more interested and is more safe of a hobby but i just didnt get into it. I think getting a bad deal in the first place really killed it.

KiNgMaRtY

People look at the exterior before anything else. Just the windshield should help your sale. Give it a nice was and clean up YOURSELF

Towards the end of the week i believe the GSXR will probably be sold and i will do the things mentioned but i will deffinately up the price.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts