The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Freeze plug removal

971of1000

I have a couple of freeze plugs that have pushed out a little and causing some leaks. I am trying to get them out and have had a lot of trouble. Any ne messed with them before? They are on the back of motor, head is off.

Screwdriver + hammer, knock it sideways. Use pliers to yank out once sideways.

Galantvr41062

As said above, then when you install the new ones put a little black or gray RTV around the sealing surface, then hammer them in using a big socket as straight as you can.

~John

Hammer gently, least you knock it slam back into the water jacket. Not that I've ever done that or anything... of course..

971of1000

Yeah got one of them done. The other one that is leaking is not budging. I am going to work on it more today

With it getting warmer outside, you can cheat a little bit by popping the new freeze plugs in a freezer for a while before installing. Seems to help when using RTV on them, since the sealer is not as prone to being wiped off upon insertion.

If you have it, use a bearing/race driver, the lip on the tool will keep you from driving the new plug into the water jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:

971of1000

got them done. thanks guys

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned