The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo suspension question

Brunoboy

I have VIII's on my car with Tanabe Springs, Rear 1g dsm tein pillow mounts, after installing the springs and pillow mount on the rear, it seems that theres play where the spring is loose enough to be rotated, does anyone have pics or know what I did wrong when installing these?
-Shane

cheekychimp

Are they lowering springs? I believe that the length of the 'standard' EVO struts and the Bilsteins is different. Could it be that you got the wrong height spring? Is this movement under load?

Brunoboy

movement is not under load, and it is lowering springs made for the evo suspension.

SouthCaliVR4

Probably quite normal, I have had several cars over the years where lowering springs did not require a compressor to reassemble & had very little to no preload on the strut out of the car or with the car jacked up.

If you feel its enough that the spring may jump out of place on full droop, not likely to happen on the street BTW, you may wish to consider something to limit suspension drop. I have only had to do this on 4x4's with mad flex myself.

SouthCaliVR4

On four by's I made mounts & used a 18 wheeler type chunk of tie-down strap. in this case you'll just have to figgure something out if it's of a concern to you. As I said I've never felt the need on a street car.

CSMShaun

Unless the roads you drive on are severely bumpy or you plan on jumping the car you will have no problem with springs that do not fully extend the struts. One issue you may run into though with springs that are already short is bottoming the struts on harsh bumps.

CutlassJim

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Probably quite normal, I have had several cars over the years where lowering springs did not require a compressor to reassemble & had very little to no preload on the strut out of the car or with the car jacked up.

If you feel its enough that the spring may jump out of place on full droop, not likely to happen on the street BTW, you may wish to consider something to limit suspension drop. I have only had to do this on 4x4's with mad flex myself.

This.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned