The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

got some dyno numbers!! Video added!

Ben

to the front wheels: 421, 90 oct, 17 psi.
651, e85, 28 psi
We stopped there because I didn't have my head machined smooth enough for a metal gasket. Cyl pressure was pushing through those tiny grooves over to the nearest coolant jacket. When we got into the 600s, my coolant overflow jug overrun hose became a high pressure coolant waterhose towards the end of a pull. lol! Eventually I need to pull my head, have it machined smoother and have it o-ringed too. We had a hard time getting traction on the dyno. That 651 is fat rich, super conservative and only 2 degrees of timing because my knock sensor is picking something up. I need to get that firgured out. rev limiter is set at 9250 and it's still makeing power at that rpm. Hasn't plateaued yet haha.
He made me drive it and it was scary.... punched it in 3rd and lost traction to all 4 tires when the turbo spooled. It felt insane like an explosion. Kinda hard to describe the intensity of the pull you feel when you have the power to break all 4 tires loose in 3rd gear.
Andrei(tuner at Abel racing doing this) said if this engine would hold, the potential for close to 800 is there.
I was hoping to break 600 with 35 or so psi. I had no idea I was going to pass that mark so easliy with less than 30 psi on a turbo cable able of over 40! haha.
Here's my build: click

Last edited:

GolfBall

congrats ben,

those are some good numbers for sure. Get your head gasket sorted out. mls and some L19's and your set. haha.

then we can race in texas at tx 2k11. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

I doubt I go any more. My trip to okc drained my account and my truck decided to loose all its power on the way back. That cost me another night in a hotel. I won't be able to fix my car before 2k11. I'm worried about having my head machined again too. It's already had a lot taken off the surface. I do have a mitsu mls, but just regular arp head studs. I will have videos up today

Last edited:

curtis

Badass

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Have you weighed the car yet?

Tre3zy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Ben

Havnt weighed it yet. Brant said full race weight with driver and co-driver was 3100. I have less stuff in the car than brant I'm sure. I need to go see what it weighs.

1qkfwd

Dam your build is very close to mine. Numbers look good. Could you have gotten more out of the 90 oct?

onesickcrx

28psi 650+ hp on low compression thats nuts I like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Ben

Quoting 1qkfwd:
Dam your build is very close to mine. Numbers look good. Could you have gotten more out of the 90 oct?

Maybe, but it was showing knock so we stopped there. Andrei kept saying my car was going to make legendary numbers on pump. We just didnt have 93 or time. The knock sensor was showing knock on the e85 also, which he said e85 will not knock. A piston will melt before you show any knock on e85. So knowing this, we probably could have taken the 90 oct further. But that's not worth it. It's still stupid fast(to me) on 90 oct. All 4 break loose going into 2nd hard on 90. When I get some more stuff figured out, I can't wait to mount my slicks and set up the launch control!!! I have to find out what my knock sensor is picking up.

And all 3rd gear. I will get more videos up tomorrow

Last edited:

1qkfwd

You reading the plugs after each run to make sure your not showing any signs of detonation? I wish we had E85 close. Where stuck on sh*t 91 as our premium pump gas.

Brianawd

Quote:
which he said e85 will not knock

E85 will knock. When it does most of the time damage has already been done. Was your knock progessive of a big spike and then went away? Also when doing the pull did the guy just stap the thottle or roll into it? If you just stab the throttle at 3k that will cause knock. Once it starts knocking that way,most of the time it keeps knocking tell you let off the gas and get back into it. Also what rpm is the knock starting at?

Ben

It was knocking around 3k rpm a part throttle(it didn't start that til I had about 200 miles on the engine). I just realized that he raised the point at which the ecu starts looking at knock to 3500 so it's not seeing that any more.
He was rolling into it slow. Sometimes, super slow trying to help with traction on the dyno. He said pretty much the same thing that you could melt a piston and may not see any knock. haha. I did not see the logs so I don't know if/when/how it was comming in. I do not think the knock went away.

I have only driven the car 8-10 miles since the tune and got on it a few times. On pump, it started knocking(looking at the factory boost gauge) as soon as it was in the power the whole time. It did the same thing the one time I made an e85 pull. I'm going to try to make some logs tonight and look at a few things. I don't know much about tuning at all. Also at consistant throttle(cruising) I have a stumble and my afr jump around from about 13-16.

1qkfwd

I'm on link forums, you can pm me a couple pulls I can take a look at them. I'm 1qkfwd over there also. I've been a link user since 05. Even tuned a few cars via email.

Olson

Nice numbers dude. On another note the car look very peaky so to speak aren't you going to want a broad power band?

Ben

That pull was still spinning on the dyno so there is a little more power band than what this video shows. It's still a laggy turbo that doesn't get started til the 5-6k rpm range(that's when the explosion happens!), but my car is still making power over 9k. That is enough that it doesn't fall out of the power when I shift. It reminds me of my banshee, crazy 2 stroke powerband!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts