The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Project Log: #594 - 600-650 awhp or BUST!!!

-To start this off: I just sold my EVO about a month back for a few reasons. I wanted to make an all out race car and i refused to do it with a car that i was still paying a decent car payment on, and also because they started popping up everywhere and i like having something a little different than everyone else. So i ended up with a 1992 Summit White Galant VR-4 (#594 of 1000). Its nothing new to see a 600-700hp EVO, but a 6-700hp Galant seemed like a unique idea for me, and it still has the main characteristics which i loved about my EVO (4 door, 4g63, awd).

- As of now the car is basically stock, has some minor bs done to it, and it is decently clean for what it is. Over the next year or two the car will be completely built (motor, wheels, suspension, seats) so bear with me, as i will include pics of everything that is being done to the car. The motor/trans/turbo kit will be done first, and the swap will begin within the next 2 weeks. I have always wanted to learn how to detail a car, so i went out and bought a wheel and a whole bunch of cleaning products. Since i didn't completely massacre the paint i feel like i did a pretty good job for a first timer with a wheel.

- The motor/turbo kit/trans are being purchased from a friend of mine. He built and fabbed up everything so far, and he will also be doing the majority of the work on this car. Il start this with a list of what the motor/trubo/trans is comprised of.

::::MOTOR SPECS:::: 2.3
- 4g63 shortblock (machined, bored, deck, line honed, hot tanked/baked, balanced)
- 4g64 100mm crank
- Eagle Rods
- Custom Diamond pistons (10:1 compression)
- Clevite H main bearings
- Clevite H rod bearings
- ARP main studs
- New OEM water pump
- New OEM oil pump
- Balance shaft eliminated

::::Cylinder Head::::
- Cometic head gasket
- Ported head
- 1mm over sized valves (Intake/Exhaust)
- Super Tech dual spring kit, titanium retainers, seals, locks, locaters
- Valve job
- Kelford 272 cams
- 3mm No tick lifters
- HKS Cam gears
- HKS Timing belt
- Decked Head
- Custom Sheet metal intake manifold
- 75mm throttle body
- AEM fuel rail with 1000cc precision injectors

::::Turbo/Exhaust::::
- Custom Borg Warner S 366 T4
- Custom tubular manifold
- Synapse 44 mg wastegate
- Tial BOV
- 3.5" downpipe (V-Band)
- 3.5" exhaust (SS V-Band)
- 4" SS Intake with K&N filter
- Intercooler 32"x12.5"x3.5"

::::Transmission/Clutch::::
- TRE Stage 3 AWD 5 speed
- Clutch Masters twin disk with billet aluminum flywheel
- Bronze shifter bushings

::::Electronics::::
- ECM link/DSM link V:3
- AEM serial gauges (Boost, wideband, oil pressure)
- Dual 255 walbro
- AEM meth kit

::::Wheel/suspension::::
- 18x9 xxr 521
- 245/40/18 drag radials
- d2 coilovers

::::Exterior::::
- CF wingless trunk
- 93 style headlights
- JDM RS hood with vents
- AMG flat side pannels
- New rear doglegs
- JDM front and rear bumpers
- Cutout vents in front bumper for FMIC (Later a jdm front and rear bumper)

::::pics of Motor/Turbo setup::::
- These pics are taken from the 1g that this motor was originally in. I will have more pics of the setup as the prject gets under way. It made 500 on the Speed industries dyno with very low boost and waste gate issues.
DSC_0321_edit.jpg

Cam09011.jpg

Im sure i am forgetting a bunch of stuff, if you have any questions about anything il do me best to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:

:::: First step in the project: Exterior Detail::::
- So far i have basically completed detailing the exterior of the car, all i need do do is wax it and the exterior will be done. Next i will be detailing the interior. My friend just dropped off his bissell carpet cleaner, which is desperately needed. After the interior is done i am going to tackle the engine bay and all door jams and hard to reach places.
::::Before and afters detail pics::::
-Right side washed and clayed, Left side rubbing compound/polished
DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

::::Before::::
DSC00335.jpg

::::After::::
DSC00371.jpg

::::Before::::
DSC00357.jpg

::::After::::
DSC00358.jpg

::::Left side clayed and wheeled, Right side clayed::::
DSC00329.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

::::Before: Rock ships:::
DSC00359.jpg

::::After: Rubbing compound::::
DSC00360.jpg

:::Afters: Still without Wax:::
DSC00365.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

NOadress.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

- Within the next couple of days i will be tackling the interior and under the hood, as well as the door jambs and hard to reach places. Like i said the motor/trans swap will begin with the next two weeks, and i will be documenting everything. I dont make that much money, so hang in there with me, thanks for looking, Daryl.

2of9

awesome! keep us updated.

How come White GVR4s always end up having high hp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I started steam cleaning the drivers side carpet, because the carpet in the entire car is completely disgusting. Im still not finished yet but the carpet is starting to look alot better. Im off to work, when i get home i will try and finish up the carpet and post some before and afters. This little Bissell carpet cleaner my friend let me borrow is awesome!!!

This is the water that came from the drivers side carpet!!
DSC00378.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

Quoting Terrance362:
Nice. Good to see that you got out of the Evo game. GVR4 looks like a winner. Evo guys are dicks.

- Hahaha yeaa some of the time. Im not a dick, i can assure you that. Im 23 and also a full time college student, so the payments and insurance were not fun.

Quoting 2of9:
awesome! keep us updated.

How come White GVR4s always end up having high hp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Hahah not really sure, im pretty new to this site, but i have been lurking around for the past couple of weeks. Iv seen some pretty nasty fast ones, which is awesome motivation.

Hahaha i want updates just as much as you do. As of now im tackling the carpets, they're disgusting. Within the next two weeks there will be some legit updates. The motor will be pulled and il have pics of the new setup going in. Il post some before/afters of the carpet tonight.

ApexHunter

Good work man, always nice to see people dive headfirst into these cars, it is awesome.

Thanks man. This is honestly the first car that iv ever really had to work on myself. The evo was pretty much an all bolt on car (minus cams/springs), so it wasn't really much to get 500 out of it. The interior and paint were perfect when i purchased it, so i only had to do regular washings and waxes to make it look nice. Im kind of disappointed that this car was treated so poorly. I didn't think the paint was that bad when i bought it, but it took about 3 days of work to get it looking the way it is now, and i still haven't waxed it yet. The carpet is really nasty, so im doing my best to bring it back to life. I just received my 5 lug hubs from JSchleim18, so if your reading this thanks again. I probably wont be using the hubs till late summer/fall, because i think im going to be spending a little more than i had initially planned getting the car up and running.
-It currently has the 3 bolt rear in it, will this hold up on the dyno so that i can get it tuned? or will it destroy axles even from a roll or dyno pull. Im expecting at least 600awhp. I am trying to get a 4 bolt rear with lsd within the next couple of days, but the problem is i don't have a set of 5 lug rims to throw on the car. Maybe i can borrow an extra set of evo rims from a friend.

- Minor update: Cleaned driver side carpet, and received my 5 lug front hubs.
They're a little rusty, nothing a little sanding/sandblasting cant fix.

DSC00401.jpg

-Carpet-
Unfortunately i don't have any befores of the drivers side carpet, but i can assure you that it was absolutely disgusting.

These are the Afters, keep in mind that i have another session of steaming and scrubbing on this side before i move onto the passenger side. It may not look to much better from the pics, but i can assure you that in person it is 100% better, and it helped to remove the funk smell from the interior.

- Well here is a sort of before, i had already started cleaning under the dash before i took this pic.

DSC00386.jpg

- After: Under drivers side dash.

DSC00389.jpg

- Before of drivers side rear-

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

- After drivers side, still needs 1 more cleaning session-

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

- For some reason the carpet still looks dirty in the after pictures, but honestly its not. Depending on the angle i take the pics it makes it look like there's still dirty spots in some areas, when in real life it looks completely clean, i don't know what the deal is.

Please post some pics when you get the xxr 521's on. I love those wheels.

Yea i cant wait for that day. I think im just going to start ordering a rim hear and there, until i have all four. Its just going to suck if i put them on with the stock suspension, i think it will look a little goofy. I still haven't decided on the size i want to run yet. If i do 18x10's then the car is getting flares, which im up in the air about. As much as i hate to say this, the wheels/suspension probably wont happen till end of summer. I don't make that much money (still a full time college student), and the only reason the motor setup is nice is because i am getting an insane deal on it.

turbowop

Best/easiest way to clean the carpet is to pull it out of the car and take it to a self service carwash and just pressure wash it all clean. Vacuum out the majority of the water and let it dry for a couple of days outside, or in the garage if it's during winter. Even after shampooing or steam cleaning, you'd be surprised at how much brown, nasty water comes out with a pressure washer.

BTW, it's usually good to pull the carpet out anyway, as you can clean underneath it and you may find some surprises under there, or at least some spare change.

Last edited:

Its looking like i might just go that route tomorrow. Do you just spray water when you pressure wash them, or would you recommend using soap too?

turbowop

I spray the whole carpet down lightly with Simple Green, then just spray the whole thing down at close range with the pressure washer nozzle in side to side strokes working my way up the carpet until I don't see brown coming out anymore. It'll probably take awhile before the water starts coming out clean.

Alright awesome. Im going to wake up early and spend a lot of time on the carpet, and if all else fails il be pulling it out. I also need to address the jams tomorrow, and then the engine bay, which i don't even want to think about doing.

- Does anyone have any recommendations for what i can put on the hinges of the door to make them open/close smoother? All of the OEM substance (sorry for sounding so stupid about not knowing what this grease type substance actually is) is worn/gone from the hinges.

-Another small update: I just ordered a new set of floor mats for the car. The car came with 2 filthy Grey mats up front, which im pretty sure are not stock, and 2 black mats in the rear. I have always liked the look of the old JDM checkered mats, and i found a set that's measurements looked like they would fit pretty nicely. I already know that some people are going to hate on these mats, and that's fine with me.

- I also plan on trying to find a place that sells black suede, because i plan on possibly wrapping suede to the center counsel, b pillars, and some other odds and ends that will give it a subtle look, don't worry im not going to overdue it. I feel i have pretty good judgment to what looks good and what just doesn't fit or looks rice (although some may think the mats i ordered are rice).

This is what i ordered: The description said they were black and Grey, but they look black and white to me. I would like either color, but if they are black and Grey i hope the Grey is the same shade of Grey as the natural color of the carpet.
mats.jpg

curtis

The suede looks good. You can do a search under mine and Cheekychimp's name to see it. I did headliners and visors or should I say my old next door neighbor did. But the logistics was just to much. Then I had him do Paul's C pillars, had to be cut and sewn, as well as armrest, custom e brake cover and shift boot. Then I wrapped the top rails and the b pillars for him.

As for the carpet. I had my neighbor down the street use her steam clean van on the carpet. She used about a gallon of the commercial grade stuff on it and it came out spotless but I cleaned up my wife's carpet from her xterra with a couple gallons of "totally awesome" ( you can buy it at dollar general market) and a pressure washer and I think it came out better than what the steam cleaner did on mine. After I let it dry in the sun I reinstalled and then put a dehumidifier in the truck for day to get everything 100% dry.

- Sorry for the lack of legitimate updates, i swear within the next week or two there will be some real updates.

- I decided to pull out the center counsel today, which was held in by like 3 screws, and missing about 20. I was able to fix/adjust the E-Brake cable, so now it actually works. The wiring was a complete cluster f***, with some of it pieced together with multiple 6" pieces of wire, held together with electrical tape. I will be removing all of that unnecessary orange wire, because all that it does is power the 2 gauges which are worthless (No sending units).

- Also discovered some big bumps under the passenger seat, im hoping that this car will hit the hardest on the block!!!

Here is what iv got from today, i still need to clean the passenger side carpets.

::::MESS:::: Some random wires connecting to nothing.

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

::::Custom 15's under the seat::::

DSC00403.jpg

::::Super loose E-Brake cable::::

DSC00407.jpg

:::::Random unplugged electronics (power mirrors)

DSC00402.jpg

::::And here is how the car sits now, i am probably going to wrap the entire center council in black suede, along with the headliner, and A/B pillars. The seats i will be running are black suede, so i think everything will come together nicely.

DSC00411.jpg

turbowop

We had a big group buy on custom floor mats through a member here (I think turboflanagan, but I'd have to search to confirm). They came in a variety of colors with custom embroidery if wanted. I have black ones in 503 and grey in 1051. as far as I know he can still get them made and they fit perfectly.

*edit* Sure enough, here is the thread: click

The grey matches the factory carpet pretty well, IMO:

944a91dca79a5bc.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts