The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO MR vs EVO GSR Struts

cheekychimp

Seeing as we have a few suspension threads going, I thought I'd throw this in.

It seems from everything I have heard you can't really go wrong with either and I'm guessing most of you won't have experience of both which will make comparisons difficult. I was just hoping to find out which of the two gives the softer ride. I thought the MR Bilsteins would be performance orientated and stiffer but others are suggesting the Bilsteins may give better ride quality as well as better performance.

I don't think it will sway my decision any, I'm going with GSR struts to start because every Bilstein set I have seen recently has been too expensive in my opinion especially as most are high mileage and I suspect have been used aggressively. Just looking for input on whether the extra cost for MRs is justifiable for a daily driver.

BrandonEchols

Read threads on EvoM...to get a feel for what the differences are.
Everything I've read says the MR Bilsteins are MUCH better than the GSR counterparts (which is why I snagged the Bilsteins, unfortunately they're not on yet, so I can't give personal feedback on them).
Another plus on the Bilstein units is that I believe they're rebuildable, and can be re-valved, etc also.
How much are the ones you're finding going for?

I've had both & the Bilsteins do give a smoother ride than the KYB's. They're also a little taller than the KYB's so lowering springs are marketed specifically for the Bilsteins vs. KYB's.

cheekychimp

Quoting brandonechols:
Read threads on EvoM...to get a feel for what the differences are.
Everything I've read says the MR Bilsteins are MUCH better than the GSR counterparts (which is why I snagged the Bilsteins, unfortunately they're not on yet, so I can't give personal feedback on them).
Another plus on the Bilstein units is that I believe they're rebuildable, and can be re-valved, etc also.
How much are the ones you're finding going for?

Thanks, I think I will do that, it would be interesting to hear some comparisons between the two. Struts I'm looking at are $250 (low mileage) from an EVO 9. If the Bilsteins are rebuildable, it would take a bit of the sting off the extra cost. Another reason I actually want to pick up a set of of the GSR struts is that apparently you can get around the ride height issue if you use GSR struts at the front and MRs at the rear with lowering springs. I can't cut springs over here, I get failed at annual inspection for it. I know I can swap springs but I just don't want the hassle.

Quote:
I got some MR bilsteins with 15k miles on them for a super deal off evoM.

As for you mister, stop gloating and sell me the MRs then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

The Bilsteins are rebuildible. When I bought springs for my MR they came with the struts. I sold those to a friend with a GSR and he sent them to Bilstein. I think it was around $75 US a strut. They even revalved his for the type of springs he had. I loved the ride and handling that the Bilsteins had over the KYB's.

cheekychimp

Guys, thanks for the advice, this really helps actually. I still think I'm going to grab these KYBs first. It's just a very cost effective solution to my current situation and will give me more time to shop around for a deal on some Bilsteins.

If I can get a set of Bilsteins rebuilt for around $300, it's still going to be far cheaper than buying more coilovers and the ride quality sounds like it may be just as good anyway.

blacksheep

Quoting boostdtalon:
The Bilsteins are rebuildible. When I bought springs for my MR they came with the struts. I sold those to a friend with a GSR and he sent them to Bilstein. I think it was around $75 US a strut. They even revalved his for the type of springs he had. I loved the ride and handling that the Bilsteins had over the KYB's.

qft - $60 per strut - have talked to bilstien about this in detail...

Last edited:

GVR4ZUM

^^^
Boostdtalon..
Hmm,so Bilstein honors the warranty even if you're not the original owner?
I might have to send one.

cheekychimp

Bilstein revalves the struts in the US I take it? Maybe it was $15 to return ship a strut without the spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

KC what do MR struts go for usually? I have seen a lot for $500-$600 but with an average of 40-50K on them. I had a look on Evo M just now and there is a set for $550 with 55K on them. Thing is, lowering springs are another couple of hundred bucks, and the revalve/rebuild around $250 plus shipping based on your post. So, I'm probably looking at $1000 with shipping and even if I got a smoking deal, I doubt I'll get that under $800 with a rebuild and lowering springs.

GTWorx does a full Bilstein HD strut package with their own springs for under $1100 shipped, so would it be worth considering new?

Paul.

gtluke

had both in my car back to back, it's stunning how much better the ride quality is with the MR's
Handling is too similar for me to notice, but the ride is night and day better.

cheekychimp

That is still 450 + 240 + shipping back from Bilstein (assuming the seller shipped them direct to Bilstein to be rebuilt for me) + lowering springs (with shipping). I still think best case scenario is $900-$1000 and you can buy brand new for under $1100 shipped.

If the Bilsteins are better I am more than happy keeping the GSRs for emergencies (it is getting really hard to find decent suspension for these cars over here) and besides I need these now, I can wait on the Bilsteins.

Paul.

blacksheep

Quoting cheekychimp:
Bilstein revalves the struts in the US I take it? Maybe it was $15 to return ship a strut without the spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

KC what do MR struts go for usually? I have seen a lot for $500-$600 but with an average of 40-50K on them. I had a look on Evo M just now and there is a set for $550 with 55K on them. Thing is, lowering springs are another couple of hundred bucks, and the revalve/rebuild around $250 plus shipping based on your post. So, I'm probably looking at $1000 with shipping and even if I got a smoking deal, I doubt I'll get that under $800 with a rebuild and lowering springs.

GTWorx does a full Bilstein HD strut package with their own springs for under $1100 shipped, so would it be worth considering new?

Paul.

Quick answer - Yes, GTWorx is about the best package with their springs. If you want stiffer springs, get swift spec-r which will work with the Bilstein HD, but Andrew at GT Worx will tell you the spec-r will work better with the bilstein re-worked.

When I was kicking around this myself, I see GTSpec being 1100 and a decent set of coilovers being about 1500-1700 which makes me wonder if coilovers are a better bet. My biggest problem with the Bilstein HD and springs is the weight - they are same or more than stock.

curtis

Well the evo stuff is heavier than stock. I'd say double. Can't remember what the KYB's are because its been over a year since i shipped out a set but Cherrod's Bilsteins showed up yesterday to get the treatment and they showed up in a lightweight box with no packing material or paper and about 30 wraps of shrink wrap and weighed 66.40 lbs for the full assemblies.

This is way I don't modify many sets. The user ends up paying about 100 to 150 bucks each way to ship them.

alansupra94

^^^^

quite true unless you have some revalving skills but then you wouldn't be buying bilsteins in the first place.

I have seen a few people that run the Bilsteins and hypercoils with amazing results.

Quoting curtis:
This is way I don't modify many sets. The user ends up paying about 100 to 150 bucks each way to ship them.

I agree with this. The good news is I have them in-stock almost all the time so shipping is only one way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting blacksheep:

Quick answer - Yes, GTWorx is about the best package with their springs. If you want stiffer springs, get swift spec-r which will work with the Bilstein HD, but Andrew at GT Worx will tell you the spec-r will work better with the bilstein re-worked.

When I was kicking around this myself, I see GTSpec being 1100 and a decent set of coilovers being about 1500-1700 which makes me wonder if coilovers are a better bet. My biggest problem with the Bilstein HD and springs is the weight - they are same or more than stock.

I think if you are doing a build for performance it would have to be a genuine concern but bearing in mind this is just for a daily driver and comfort is a priority, I'd take this over "most" coilovers any day. I also read a bit about that GTWorx package and a lot of guys said it performed better than the cheaper coilovers. I'm not sure how good the $1500-$1700 coilovers are that you mentioned. I know Hotbits DT2s are around $2500 now shipped. I'm really just comparing the cost of 2nd hand with new here and it just seems that unless you are just going to slap Bilsteins on without a rebuild and without lowering springs, you are almost as good buying new.

GVR-4

I've got a set of Bilsteins from an EVO MR on my Galant with stock EVO MR springs. The front springs have a single coil cut off and the ride height is pretty good and level. I still wasn't quite happy with the ride, so the next time I got new tires I got 215 50 17's (up from 215 45 17) which increased the sidewall height to be very close to the stock EVO tire sidewall height. That made a big difference and the ride is firm but not annoying or uncomfortable now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned