The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fans Sensor

KiNgMaRtY

The car has been running a little hot since I got it per the OEM temp gauge, reads about 3/4. I changed out the thermostat to a 160, Mishimoto radiator cap and changed the fluid. I noticed that it appears my fans kick on but not at full power. Which sensor is it that tells the fans to go full power. Maybe it is faulty?

Last edited:

Muskrat

There are actually two temp sensors. The main one is mounted on the lower radiator tank. At a certain temp it'll kick on low, running through that big resistor on the back of the fan. There's also a switch on the t-stat housing which will kick the fan on high if it needs to. Some people remove the resistor and put a jumper across the leads so the fan always runs on high.

The sensors for the fan, for the ecu, and for the gauge are all separate. I'd buy an aftermarket water temp gauge and see where you're really at, OR get a datalogger so you can see what the ECU thinks the temp is. I wouldn't necessarily trust the stock gauge.

KiNgMaRtY

Thank you for the info. Which switch on the T-Stat is it?

I may try the resistor mod. So just remove the resistor an use a wire to bridge the connections? I will be getting ECMlink soon

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts