The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What to do while the car is gutted

524of1000

While my galant is down I decided to pull the interior and clean/dye the carpet, maybe do some headliner cleaning as well. Anything else I should look into while it's empty? There's no rust, ect. and I'm saving my $ for the engine work. Although a manual seat belt conversion would be nice... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

DR1665

This could be a good opportunity to do some wiring. For example, a battery relocation, pre-wire for stereo upgrades, or even a gauge install.

If your cruise control isn't working, double check the little rubber plug on the clutch pedal. If it's brittle or missing, you can restor CC functionality by taping a penny over the hole in the clutch pedal "arm."

How gutted is "gutted?" If you've got the engine/trans out, this would be a good opportunity to clean up and maybe paint the engine bay. You could also pre-run wires for future gauge installations.

Or you could throw caution to the wind and have a proper cage installed and go racing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

citymunky

I just removed the my ABS wiring hardness, that would be easy to do with a gutted car.

cage install
battery relocation kit...both good choices to do

work on suspension (for racing)
aftermarket rotors and new break pads
manual seat belts? replace front seats for bucket seats and get harnesses?
short shifter?

hope this helps those are the list im trying to do now

CutlassJim

It's "brake" pads not "break" pads.

Am I the only one who hates batteries in trunks?

gtluke

what's not to like about your car not starting because of wire resistance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

524of1000

Lol Looks like I've got everything done except a roll cage... and that ain't happening. Thinks for the ideas guys!

steve

Cider! Gravy! Very small rocks!

boostedinaz

Quoting CutlassJim:

Am I the only one who hates batteries in trunks?

I'm not a fan either but mostly because people do horrible installs with the battery just sort of plopped in the trunk. No one seems to hide them or move them out of the way enough for my taste.

AnotherNewb

Nobody mentioned seam welding the body. Adds stiffness, improves handling.. Win win in my book.

*Disclaimer*
The following is only appropriate if you do not intend to drag race your car in a manner in which .1 seconds matters.
*End Disclaimer*
Cover the entire floorpan with B-Quiet. It is muuuuuch cheaper than dynamat and at most temperatures performs better. The reduction in road noise and increase in cabin sound quality cannot be understated. It will take approx 15 lbs of product to do the entire floorplan and probably the front doors around the speakers. While the car is currently gutted, it sounds like you plan on putting back in all the heavy interior components, so an extra 15 lbs is kinda irrelevant. Take a dump before you hit the track.

DR1665

^^^ PHX, eh?

2nd Thursday 7PM - every month - In-n-Out Burger I-10 & Ray Rd - See you there.

Also, when I see "B-Quiet," I can't help but hear it said by King Arthur. BE QUIET! (Come see the violence inherent in the system.)

Quoting steveGLS:
Cider! Gravy! Very small rocks!

Churches!

(I like your moves.)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned