The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

serial adapter chip inside my ecu

so i bought a galant a few months back and when i pulled the ecu out to swap chips i found a little addon card inside it with a max202cpe ic on it. its some sort of serial transceiver. theres a rj25 wire coming out of the ecu and the car came with a little adapter to go from that to male db9. i hooked up my palm and tried mmcd and pokedyno and couldnt get anything to communicate.
i also did some searching and cant find anything like this and theres no markings on the little pcb. has anyone seen this before or know how to make it work?
eculogger.jpg

Brunoboy

it maybe be jumper wires........

That's something Jeff did for a few people back in the day. I had him do that to my ECU years ago. I think you're supposed to hook it to a pc for data logging via mmcd.

The rj25->db9 adapter that came with the car is the wrong gender to plug into my computers serial port, but it plugs into my palm cable.
I guess I will email Jeff O. about it. I couldnt find it on his site.

cheekychimp

Don't Palms and PCs use different adapters? If it was set up to work with a PC, I think you either need the correct adapter/cable for the Palm or get a male to female adapter to link it with a laptop.

i found a null modem adapter in my desk this morning. im going to try that when i get home from work today. i believe its just a matter of swapping pins 2 and 3 based on the device trying to connect.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

Yeah null modem adapter, I'm sure that's what you need for it. I couldn't remember the term for it earlier.

Judder

Quoting Anonymous:
That's something Jeff did for a few people back in the day. I had him do that to my ECU years ago. I think you're supposed to hook it to a pc for data logging via mmcd.

Apologies for the thread revival but noticed what looks like one of these serial boards on my 7201 ECU yesterday (I also have a 7202 but didn't see it on that one)

Anyone know / remember which pins were soldered where to connect to the RS-232 header per chance?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts