The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Polishing intake manifolds

vtecds1

I just got finished polishing the plenum of my FRH. Now, I`m hesitant on doing the runners because of how all the areas I can't get to. What type of sander are you guys using for those hard to reach areas? Here`s a pic of the plenum. Not the best looking, but it'll do.

curtis

Man you need to run by a machine shop and ask who does all the rods etc for them. More than likely you can get it done cheaper than all the supplies you'll need. All those curves and such will suck major ass to get correctly done and unless you use some good high heat clear its going to tarnish and oxidize. I personally think the forresters look good polished up like you've done then having the lower section painted black.

I've got a picture of one on the hard drive somewhere if I come across it I'll post it up.

vtecds1

^^^I was actually thinking of having the lower half powdercoated. I wasn't too sure if it would look good or not. I`ll wait for your pic and make my decision. Although I did start on the runners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

No joy can't find it. Sorry

vtecds1

All good...A guy at my work told me to bring it in to see if a bead blast will work on it. If not, I just bought this . I will finish sanding down the top of the runners and whatever I can get to and have it powder coated.

BluFalcon

I had a stock 1G intake manifold that had the top part of the plenum polished, and everything else powdercoated black. The ribs on top of the plenum were sanded down before polishing. It turned out pretty sharp looking, and it's easy to keep looking nice as only the top part of the manifold needs to be polished when it starts to tarnish.

vtecds1

^^^Got any pics? I'm 75% done sanding the top of the runners. I just need to get in between them. I'm debating on a nickel finish or black if I was to powdercoat it. I will take a couple of pics as soon as I get home from work to show my progress.

curtis

You can get some cartridge rolls and mandrels from travers tool company or on line but don't buy the cheap pos ones at harbor freight. They only last 10 seconds and the mandrels will break. Something you can get at harbor freight that works well is one of these. I have one and they work well if you do it slow, heavy loading stretches the belts.

I'd start with some 80 grit and then go to 120 then 180 with the cartridge rolls. Get the short mandrels if you turn up the speed with the long ones the shaft will flex and bend.

click me

BluFalcon

Quoting vtecds1:
^^^Got any pics? I'm 75% done sanding the top of the runners. I just need to get in between them. I'm debating on a nickel finish or black if I was to powdercoat it. I will take a couple of pics as soon as I get home from work to show my progress.

I wish I did have some decent pics of it. The motor that the intake manifold is on, is sitting in a storage unit waiting for my car to get back out of the paint shop. I didn't bother taking pics of the manifold, while I was putting the motor together. If the weather clears up in the next few days, I'll get over there and snap a few pics.

vtecds1

Here's the pic...sorry it took so long for me to post it up.

Curtis-Thanks for the info. I went to Harbor Freight to buy the cheap ones just to test it out. I figured since it's right down the street from my house, I might as well give it a try. But at this point...I`m tired and getting frustrated sanding this thing down. Instead, I'm going to just go ahead and paint it with high temp paint from VHT or the metallic paint from Dupli Color. The only thing that is bothering me right now is choosing the color.

vtecds1

So here's the semi finished valvecover and intake mani. I still have to polish the fuelrail and waiting for some chrome bolts.

snohacking

Damn that looks nice. Whats that color called? Who makes the color VHT or is it a metallic paint from Dupli?

Last edited:

vtecds1

Yup...VHT SP402 Burnt Copper.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned